Strange crash/reboot and CMOS corruption only with F@H

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.

Re: Strange crash and CMOS corruption after switching to 308

Postby gunnarre » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:35 pm

Marius wrote:For example, I ran FurMark, which really taxes the GPU, while at the same time running its "CPU Burner" benchmark in the background, with 32 threads @100% utilization, for 10 hours.

Unless Furmark's CPU Burner does AVX, AVX_256 and AVX_512 loads, then it's not a realistic benchmark for folding or other vector operations. Please try Prime95's AVX tests alone or at the same time as the Furmark GPU benchmark if you want to replicate a similar load as folding.
GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1050 Ti, GTX 950, Radeon HD 7770 + occasional CPU folding in the cold
gunnarre

Postby Marius » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:21 am

@gunnarre

I just ran a 17-hour stress test as you suggested, with Prime95 AVX on the CPU and FurMark on the GPU. The PC was drawing about 650W as measured by the AX1600i PSU. There were no problems, and the PC didn't crash/reboot as it does with the F@H client. So it seems really stable hardware wise. But thanks for yet another idea for testing.
Marius

Postby JimF » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:34 pm

Marius wrote:I ran memtest86 overnight to make sure the memory timing was correct, and found no problem. As soon as I configured the system and started Folding, the crash/reboot/corrupt cmos problem happened again. And the symptoms were the same; I had to clear the CMOS to be able to reboot.

It is the memory. Memtest may find a faulty module, but instability is another bag.

Do you have four modules? If you use the XMP profiles, reduce them to two modules.
If you need four, then try the motherboard defaults, but for Folding, you certainly will not need much.
JimF

Postby Marius » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:37 am

@JimF

[UPDATE 11/23/21]: So the system fooled me into thinking it was memory timing. :lol: A few hours later, the system crashed again. With DDR4 2100 settings. Case NOT closed!

Yes, I have 4 sticks of DDR4 that were set for XMP 3200. After I set it back to 2100, it has been running for 42 hours without problems.
Marius

Re: Strange crash/reboot and CMOS corruption only with F@H

Postby gunnarre » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:48 am

Try running with just two sticks, then the other two sticks.
gunnarre

Postby bruce » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:59 am

Also try un-overclocking.
bruce

Postby Marius » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:10 pm

gunnarre wrote:Try running with just two sticks, then the other two sticks.

Yes, testing that now. We'll see.

bruce wrote:Also try un-overclocking.

This system is not overclocked.

Thanks for all the ideas!
Marius

Postby Marius » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:12 pm

Well, I split the original 4 sticks of 32GB dual rank DDR4 into 2 groups, and tested each separately at 2100 timings. No deal, both tests crashed and rebooted after a few hours. The CMOS was again corrupted, resulting in an unbootable system. CMOS clearing is necessary to get past that. I also tested a different set of 2 sticks of 8GB single rank DDR4 3600, but at 2100. Nope, that didn't work either. It rebooted in a mere 10 minutes, while I was looking at the screen monitoring temps, which were OK. So at this point I can say for sure it's not memory instability, or a bad stick of RAM, or any kind of hardware problem on my side. Again, the crash only occurs when using F@H. Since I have already replaced and tested __every__ __single__ system component, I'm running out of ideas. Anyway, happy Thanksgiving to you guys in the US.
Marius

Postby toTOW » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:24 pm

If I were you, I'd get my motherboard replaced ... it's not a normal behaviour.
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby Marius » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:42 am

I already replaced the mobo! It's the second one that displays the same behavior, and is totally unrelated to the first, which was a Zenith Extreme for the AMD Threadripper from Asus. The current one is a Gigabyte Aorus Master x570s that came out in June, which I use with an AMD 5950x. So, different processor and mobo!! It looks like I have a transmissible Gremlin!
Marius

Previous

Return to FAH Hardware