CPU temperature

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.

CPU Temperature

Postby MtM » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:53 pm

*new topic... you got two things made out of stone.. :!: I wouldn't fold with those temps ;)
MtM

CPU temperature

Postby Stonecold » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:24 am

Oh. Maybe it's just my computer...

As for the temperatures, I'm using a laptop. Laptop CPUs are built to handle much higher temperatures than standard desktop CPUs. My CPU (Intel Core i7-2630QM) has a Tj. Max of 100°C (http://tinyurl.com/i7-2630qm), so it can easily handle those temperatures. Here's what it says on ComputerHope.com:

"The majority of today's desktop processors should not exceed temperatures of 95°C and most will run between 70-90°C."

And that's for desktops. Laptops are much more heat-stable. I'm also using a cooling pad which helps keep my computer's main fan from being at 100% all of the time, preventing it from burning out. I also configured Core Temp to hibernate my computer if any of the cores' temperatures get within 5°C of the Tj. Max. Plus it's under warranty, so if for any reason it does overheat to the point of breaking (which I'm not worried about because I backup the data on my computer quite frequently), I won't have to be the one paying for it!
The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life.
~Sigmund Freud
Stonecold

Re: Refresh log

Postby MtM » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:42 am

I noticed it was a laptop since the screenshot show a. you're plugged in and b. it shows your cpu :)

My old rusty q6600 has a TJMax of 100c, but I don't feel comfortable running it anywhere near that. I try to keep it below 65c ( though my specimen isn't that good regarding even temps for all cores due to either the ihs or solder bond between the two dies and the ihs which results in core1 and core2 being 8c hotter then core3 and core4 so it's 69c to 61c give or take ).

Now if it was under warranty I would turn the fan's down and let it cook :evil:

The bad thing actually is big temperature swings, even worse then high temp alone. So anyway, if you feel comfortable with it it's not important.

Btw did you read the edit made to my previous post, I think you might have read over it or missed it completely :)
MtM

Re: Refresh log

Postby Stonecold » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:55 am

MtM wrote:Now if it was under warranty I would turn the fan's down and let it cook :evil:

My laptop's fan already blew out once (over a week ago), and I had to get it repaired. If HP put in another crappy fan just to save a few cents, the it'll burn out too and they'll have to pay for ANOTHER one. I failed to tell them when they were replacing the fan that it would be on at near 100% 24/7, so they might have put a really cheap one in.

MtM wrote:I noticed it was a laptop since the screenshot show a. you're plugged in and b. it shows your cpu :)

What do you mean "it shows my CPU"? Where? And how does that have anything to do with it being a laptop?
Stonecold

Re: CPU temperature

Postby Grandpa_01 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:28 am

Core i7-2630QM is a laptop cpu MtM probably knows that.
4 - SuperMicro H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=192 cores @ 2.8Ghz
3 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 192 cores/threads @ 3Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2 - GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 419 cores folding
Grandpa_01

Postby MtM » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:46 am

Grandpa_01 is right, one of your screenshots showed fahclient info which has your cpuid string, but the icon of your battery charging was already a dead giveaway.
MtM

Postby Stonecold » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:56 am

I guess my attempt to hide that I was using a laptop failed! :wink:
Stonecold

Postby Amaruk » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:59 am

Stonecold wrote:I guess my attempt to hide that I was using a laptop failed! :wink:

Indeed! :lol:

MtM has a eye for detail, and often spots things that others do not. 8-)
Amaruk

Return to FAH Hardware