Which version of Linux

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.

What version of Linux do you use to run FaH? (Can select two choices)

Ubuntu
55%
Ubuntu-derivative
10%
Debian
7%
BSD/FreeBSD
3%
CentOS
3%
Red Hat
10%
Scientific Linux
3%
Yellow Dog
No votes
Other Linux
7%

Total votes: 29

Spitfire19
Hardware configuration: ATI Phenom II X4 965 BE (stock), 2GB Radeon HD 6950 (Factory-OC), Windows 7 64bit-OS, Kingston 8GB DDR3 1066MHz, ASUS M4A89TD, GPU2 6.23

Which version of Linux

Post by Spitfire19 »

This thread has two parts.
First off, I've been experimenting with multiple different Linux derivatives over the past few weeks(Everything from Ubuntu to Zorin OS to Scientific Linux) and can't help but wonder what others are using for their systems.
The second part, which command-line Linux derivative do you think would yield the best performance and which GUI version do you think would yield the best performance?
AMD 965 + Radeon HD 6950 + Win7 Home(x64) + V7.1.52

Currently Working On: Finishing the summer semester.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Which version of Linux

Post by Jesse_V »

I have no idea, but just FYI the latest version of V7 is 7.1.50. You should upgrade if you haven't already.
And I didn't know you could create a poll! I never noticed that button before! Learn something new everyday...
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Performance does not depend on the version of the OS to any measurable degree.

. . . ;) pause . . . let that sink in . . . resume ;)

The performance depends almost entirely on the version of the FahCore that does the processing. The FahCores for Linux are the FahCores for Linux so it doesn't matter.

On rare occasions, a new version of a FahCore is released and when that happens it will be automatically downloaded whenever a WU is assigned to you that requires the upgrade, but before long, that project will be assigned to all of the Linux clients and everybody will have the new version. Sometimes a new version will change performance, but often there is no measurable change, just the ability to process a wider variety of assignments.

It won't be long before the V7 client replaces all of the V6 clients. It will be delivered with three components: A GUI (called FAHCommand) which provides a nice human interface, A command-line client (called FAHClient) which can be run either as a stand-alone client or as a back-end processor that does the work for FAHCommand, and a GUI viewer which makes nice pictures of proteins provided you have sufficient OpenGL.

I'm exaggerating very slightly when I say the Linux version makes no difference. There is more than one version of the code that decides which thread can be dispatched when you have more threads than you have Cores. There's more than one way to manage various levels of memory. There's more than one filesystem format. Etc. Each one of these aspects can make a difference in some cases but for most of us, they won't really matter.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Fedora 13, 14, 15, 16
Ubuntu 9, 10, 11, 12
CentOS 5
Mint

Lot's of VMs, doesn't make a difference, like bruce said.

Your processor speed and core count are what determines performance the most.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
a4magkar

Post by a4magkar »

Lubuntu 11.10 64-bit, for the simplicity, more than any thought that it being light-weight should provide any performance boost over Ubuntu regular.
I am a bit curious though, if distributions with Linuxcore 3.2 or newer will gain performance over the 3.0 that Lubuntu is running.
Having a rather new 3930K Intel cpu it feels like it would be kinda logical that it would gain from software updates to fully perform.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

Running CentOS 6 here and in the past have run RHEL.

Currently running SMP and GPU on CentOS 6 (Heavily customised, basic X running FluxBox with SLiM DM (which was a nightmare to setup) but entire OS setup to be as frugal on cpu/ram usage as possible) with reasonable results. YMMV.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

Ubuntu 11.10 64bit