Intel MIC (aka Xeon Phi)

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Xeon Phi

Post by 7im »

wdethoma wrote:When will the Xeon Phi be able to crunch? They have gone down in price.
So when are you purchasing one of these?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Aurum

Re: Xeon Phi

Post by Aurum »

PS3EdOlkkola wrote:@wdethoma - responded to your PM.
I have the Intel Phi model 7210 running at 1.3 GHz, and is recognized by FAH as having 256 processors. I purchased the system completely built from a systems integrator, Colfax. It was roughly $5,500, has 108 GB of main memory, an SSD, large HTC hard disk, and is water cooled. There are at least two x16 PCIe interfaces. In reality, there are 64 physical cores (IIRC), but with hyper threading registers higher in FAH. It supports at new A7 AVX core. It runs Linux CentOS 7.x.
Performance wise, it runs best using 192 of the 256 cores and does about 300K ppd on most A7 projects. It's about equivalent to a GTX 980 at standard clock rates (no factory overclock). Needless to say, it's not a barn burner of performance. Another way to look at it: My Titan X pascal's put out over 4x the performance (1.2+ million ppd) for $1,200.
Thanks Ed, that answers my question. I was thinking of buying a Xeon Phi 7120P for $799 but as you say if it's only folding at 300,000 PPD then an EVGA 1080 Ti is a 4x better deal.
http://www.discountelectronics.com/inte ... sor-7120p/
In Science We Trust Image
Aurum

Re: Intel MIC (aka Xeon Phi)

Post by Aurum »

Silly me I saw a cheap Phi and impulsively bought it. It is NOT Plug'n Play. I tried following a guide I found but I think it's too old & I got errors.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums ... nt-1815945
Anyone installed a Phi on a non-enterprise Linux??? Or know of a good guide??? TIA
bruce

Post by bruce »

Aurum wrote:Silly me I saw a cheap Phi and impulsively bought it. ...
Just curious: What's your definition of "cheap"?

(And,.. Sorry: I can't help.)
Aurum

Post by Aurum »

$189 for a 71S1P which is supposed to be a 7120P.