Exposing laptop's fan assembly => major drop in temps

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Exposing laptop's fan assembly => major drop in temps

Post by Jesse_V »

As we all know, heat production is one of the disadvantages with folding on a laptop. I wanted to reduce the CPU temperatures of my laptop, and I tried a few things that seemed like they might work. I dedusted the machine and replaced the thermal paste, but the temps didn't change significantly. As an experiment, I tried removing the back panel, which exposed the copper cooling pipes, the fan assembly, and the radiators. After carefully putting it back on the desk and plugging everything back in, I turned it on and F@h started up as normal. After half an hour, the temps had stabilized at a far lower temperature than before. I gradually added to the SMP:N number until I was using all four of the CPU cores. To my surprise, the temps at SMP:4 were now roughly the same as they had been at SMP:1 before I removed that panel. I thus tentatively suggest that anyone folding on a laptop consider this as a possible cooling option.

A couple things are necessary for this to work:
1) the laptop must have a removable back panel that exposes these cooling components. Fortunately, I have a ASUS N61V model that was well engineered and is capable of these kinds of tricks.
2) The laptop should be stationary most of the time. Obviously removing the back panel is not a good idea if you're going to support it on your knees.
3) There must be a sufficient amount of space under the laptop for air to flow in, as there's likely little to be gained by removing the panel if the top of the desk takes its place. Fancy cooling pads would work, but if you're cheap then I find that three empty rolls of electrical tape are a sufficient alternative. The cardboard tubes are just the right height IMO.

There's a couple of advantages that come out of removing this back panel:
1) Lower temperatures. I attribute this mainly to better airflow, though the warm cooling pipes are also better able to radiate.
2) Less fan noise. Obviously lower temperatures means the fan isn't going to spin as fast, but the air has less turbulence because it no longer has to squeeze through the air intakes and swirl around all the inner components. The fan is able to easily take in air and blow it straight through the radiators.

I removed the panels yesterday, so I have yet to see if more dust is a disadvantage to this, but so far this idea appears to be largely successful. I wish I had thought of this months ago. :)
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: Exposing laptop's fan assembly => major drop in temps

Post by P5-133XL »

I wouldn't recommend removing the bottom portion of a notebook's case as a general solution to heat. I'm sure it does a fine job helping cooling but you are taking a risk that some foreign body like a screw or some liquid could accidentally come in contact with the internals and short something out.
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

You should link to photos so people can get an idea of the degree of 'exposure' created by removing the casing.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

P5-133XL wrote:I wouldn't recommend removing the bottom portion of a notebook's case as a general solution to heat. I'm sure it does a fine job helping cooling but you are taking a risk that some foreign body like a screw or some liquid could accidentally come in contact with the internals and short something out.
I suppose that's true. Obviously exposing the internals means that one has to be more careful. It is the underside of the laptop, so that helps reduce the risk of things falling onto the active components.
k1wi wrote:You should link to photos so people can get an idea of the degree of 'exposure' created by removing the casing.
To clarify: I didn't remove the "casing" so much as remove one of the panels.
This isn't exactly what it looks like, but it's close: http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/lapto ... 3.jpg.html
The third page of http://www.gentechpcforums.com/Images/A ... 2-v1.0.pdf has some really nice and accurate illustrations, only I stopped after popping off that panel.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

I cleaned out the dust my laptop (hardly 3 months old) and got the following:
CPU -> 20C drop
GPU -> 15C drop

I just might try removing the back panel to see if I can further lower the temperature. Both fans run at 100% but they are quite enough that it never bothers me.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

Running fans at 100% tends to shorten their lifespan. It is better if you can run them slightly slower like 80% max.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Humm... I don't have "default" control for that. However, I know that I can use MSI Afterburner can be used to tweak the GPU fan but how do I change the CPU fan setting? Nothing is available in the BIOS setting.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

PantherX wrote:Humm... I don't have "default" control for that. However, I know that I can use MSI Afterburner can be used to tweak the GPU fan but how do I change the CPU fan setting? Nothing is available in the BIOS setting.
try speedfan
CygnusXI

Post by CygnusXI »

If your fan is auto running at 100% it most likely needs to... usually the fan speed controls from factory settings are pretty accurate, lowering that speed would just shorten the lifespan of the gpu / cpu . Id rather be stuck replacing a fan then a cpu / gpu. Probably best just to let that fan go full till. Once in desperation for more gpu cooling I did create an extra fan (with an air grinder :) ) opening to blow cool over over my gpu, worked good. That was a desktop, however if you are careful and know what youre doing you could probably think of many mods including adding a fan on the underbody.

Jesse's suggestion for those laptops with easy to remove under panels is a good one though for people high temps.