Low power GPU?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
bruce

Re: Low power GPU?

Post by bruce »

billford wrote:But that is, there's no chance of me going back to Windows- decision made for me
The GPU drivers are the issue here. The default drivers in both Linux and OS-X don't provide a sufficiently robust version of OpenCL to support FAH on GPUs on those platforms. The exception is a proprietary version of the NVidia drivers that can be installed on Linux which solves this problem. Someday (soon?) there will be more robust drivers. [The Windows drivers still have some areas that need improvement but they're sufficiently complete today.] Once again, FAH is on the cutting edge of technology, waiting on other people to supply the infrastructure they require to support solid science.
Although I might wait until a backup GPU assignment server is sorted out… I'm a complete newbie with GPUs, not a lot better with Linux, and I'd rather not have too many known potential unknowns all at the same time :(
Understood.
billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Post by billford »

bruce wrote: The GPU drivers are the issue here. The default drivers in both Linux and OS-X don't provide a sufficiently robust version of OpenCL to support FAH on GPUs on those platforms.
This is beginning to get discouraging… :(
The exception is a proprietary version of the NVidia drivers that can be installed on Linux which solves this problem.
Where/how does one get these drivers?
bruce

Post by bruce »

On my Ubuntu system, I just searched for drivers and downloaded the latest. For other distros, I don't know but the first thing I'd try is going to the NVidia download page.

(The open-source purists may object to proprietary drivers, but nobody can predict when the open-source drivers will support FAH so they have to make a tough choice.)
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

bruce wrote:On my Ubuntu system, I just searched for drivers and downloaded the latest. For other distros, I don't know but the first thing I'd try is going to the NVidia download page.
OK thanks, I'll go hunting.
(The open-source purists may object to proprietary drivers, but nobody can predict when the open-source drivers will support FAH so they have to make a tough choice.)
I'm a pragmatist, not a purist- open source is cheaper and doesn't tie me in (much) to how other people think I should use my computers :!:
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

I got my NV-driver from here: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates
Once I had issue with downgrade and used a different semi-official PPA but can't remember the link right now (need to check later the box).
Original NV-web page-driver can be a bit more pain to install but works too.
And depend on the GPU version some versions of driver work better them others. Once you have a GPU decided let us know; we can suggest details.

I really like to fold with a ubuntu on my white boxes ... Kind of "fire and forget" with natural remote capabilities.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

ChristianVirtual wrote: And depend on the GPU version some versions of driver work better them others. Once you have a GPU decided let us know; we can suggest details.
Thanks, I suspect that will be one of several questions I'll be asking :wink:
I really like to fold with a ubuntu on my white boxes ... Kind of "fire and forget" with natural remote capabilities.
I tried Ubuntu, but for no reason I could quantify I didn't feel comfortable with it. Currently using Mint 16 which is Ubuntu based, though not sure if that helps with drivers etc.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Mint, just like Ubuntu, has a very easy driver installation. Just select additional drivers and enable them and you are good to go. However, during my Mint/Ubuntu GPU folding, the latest drivers worked wonderfully for GTX 660 Ti and GTX 650. However, I think that now the latest drivers may cause a performance loss on GPUs which aren't GTX 780 Ti so you may run into the possibility of uninstalling the latest drivers and installing an older version.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

In my Windows setups (W7 and XP), the GTX 780 Ti required 33x drivers to run.

The GTX 780 would fold on both 32x and 33x drivers, with the same PPD.

Everything else I have (GTX 460 - GTX 660 Ti) would fold on 33x drivers, but took a huge PPD hit.

Current drivers used for max PPD
XP, GTX 660 Ti- 327.23
W7, GTX 460, GT 640, GTX 660 Ti- 320.49
W7, GTX 780 Ti- 331.82
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

I've pretty much settled on a GTX 650 Ti (and an uprated PSU!), a Gigabyte version with 1032MHz core clock and 2GB memory, unless anyone thinks it would be a bad choice?

The only Linux drivers I can see on the NVidia site are the latest (331.20) and a legacy release (304.117), would the earlier one be a better bet?
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

I'm running 319.49 on my 660Ti and Ubuntu 13.04. Happy camper with that combination. The newer driver mostly gives you lower performance; based on experience. Try the earlier one.

I get around 65kPPD on project 8900; TPF 5:31
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

Budget won't run to a 660Ti and the even more uprated PSU I'd need :(

I've downloaded a copy of the 304 driver (in case they change their mind and pull it :wink: ), I should be able to order the bits in a few days, that'll probably give me a while to install and play with it until the new client becomes available.

Then I'll be back with more questions, I'm sure :D

Many thanks to all for the help and advice.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I don't think waiting for the new client is essential. GPU assignments have been handled by a single Assignment Server for many years and while getting an operational backup AS will be an important step forward, you can still get assignments a lot of the time in spite of the recent unreliability of the primary AS. To me, folding XX% of the time is better than folding 0% of the time, even if XX < 100.
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

bruce wrote:I don't think waiting for the new client is essential. GPU assignments have been handled by a single Assignment Server for many years and while getting an operational backup AS will be an important step forward, you can still get assignments a lot of the time in spite of the recent unreliability of the primary AS. To me, folding XX% of the time is better than folding 0% of the time, even if XX < 100.
I get the feeling that, if you could, you'd be leaning over my shoulder as I opened the box saying "Come on, get on with it then" :D

But it's a fair point and, as the new client is likely to include some other new bits and pieces, I'll probably have less unknowns to worry about if I stick with the current one for a while, even if the new one does become available.
bruce

Post by bruce »

billford wrote:I get the feeling that, if you could, you'd be leaning over my shoulder as I opened the box saying "Come on, get on with it then" :D
Point taken. :D 8-)

I've also lived through a lot of high priority client upgrades that didn't arrive as quickly as I would have liked and I guess my impatience is showing again. (This in no way is a prediction for the future ... just a historic observation.)
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

bruce wrote: Point taken. :D 8-)
No worries, it just struck me as amusing... but then, I've often been accused of having a very odd sense of humour at times :wink:

And a kick up the backside is a good antidote to vacillation, which I'm sometimes prone to when starting something new to me.