Small but mighty?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Skufer

Small but mighty?

Post by Skufer »

Hi all,

I've been folding for a little while now and I have been trying to come up with some ideas of new ways to increase my PPD. At the moment the only computer I have access to that is any good is my work laptop, an Intel i5 that stays in the office folding 24/7. What I'd like to do is find a way of having a second, smaller device on my desk doing the same thing.

I've been reading a few threads about FPGA/ASICs not being suitable for F@H so I guess that's a dead end, one option I have toyed with is getting a ViDock to plug into my laptop (Google ViDock to see what I mean) Can anyone suggest a small, unobtrusive but powerfull platform I could use?

Thank you!
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: Small but mighty?

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum BestPony,

The idea of a portable dGPU (http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki- ... age=ViDock) sounds very appealing. If it truly is hassle free and the laptop can access it without any issues or jumping through hoops, in theory, with the correct drivers and GPU model, you should be able to fold. However, unlike gaming, folding is very GPU intensive. I haven't come across anyone who has folded in this set-up so you are the first one. I would strongly suggest that before you purchase it, send them an email stating that you would like to fold on the GPU and give them the link to the F@H Site. Their reply can help you with the decision.

Alternatively, you could build a SFF (Small Form Factor) system which runs headless (no keyboard, mouse or monitor) with the exception of initial installation which would require those components. However, once configured, you can disconnect it and you can monitor it remotly either by V7 or other solutions (TeamViewer, Ultra VNC, TightVNC, RD). This article is a good start to see what a SFF can achieve (http://www.techspot.com/article/697-sma ... gaming-pc/).
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

I would actually go so far as to ask them to run Folding@home to prove it works. Then they just opened up a new sales market.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

It seems a smart idea.it sure helps to utilize narrow slot setups and when riser cards are not an option. My biggest concerns would be heat and power supply. 224W might be borderline for monster cards like GTX 780/Titan. And there is no place for some supporting fans.
But seems a good for cards like 660TI.
Last edited by ChristianVirtual on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
Jim Saunders
Hardware configuration: A: i5 + 2 GTX 660
B: i5 + 2 GTX 670
C: i7 + GTX670

Post by Jim Saunders »

Like he said, two six-pin PCI-e connectors is a limit, but that still gets you at least a GTX660. Interesting idea if it works.

Jim
Good science and heat for my basement you say?
bruce

Post by bruce »

I think you're going to be limited to PCIe-1 speeds, which will limit the throughput of the more powerful GPU cards. Even the GTX 6xx cards will slow down because they're limited by the external interface connection.