Nvidia Maxwell

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
iceman1992

Nvidia Maxwell

Post by iceman1992 »

The new 750 Ti seems to have an edge in Explicit, Single Precision computation, even compared to the faster 760. Would this mean better PPD? http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1130?vs=1038
Last edited by iceman1992 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: Nvidia Maxwell

Post by P5-133XL »

Anandtech runs FAHBench as one of their benchmarks. You should be able to cross-compare folding potential from that.
OzPapaSmurf
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte Z68 UDR3H
i7 2600K @3.40ghz
2 x GTX660 Ti Gigabyte
32gb DDRIII 1600mhz
128gb Intel SSD
2 x 2.TB drives
Windows 7 64 Ultimate
Cable Net
Folding CPU and GPU 24/7

Post by OzPapaSmurf »

I would think it will be a better platform as it has 640 cuda cores on the Ti as opposed to 512 on the GTX 750 and 384 on the Kepler.
It will take a few months for us here in Australia to see any of these and they will be MUCH dearer than for buyers in America
and other overseas countries.

At $149.00 for the 2gb model, it will sure be a boost to people building FAH farms. :)

I lost 2 Family members to cancer, no more.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

I have high hopes for Maxwell. We'll be optimizing OpenMM for it.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

I thought Folding attempted to remain hardware neutral.
I don't recall any similar effort to optimize for GCN.

Is Folding going in a new direction with this initiative?
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

mdk777 wrote:I thought Folding attempted to remain hardware neutral.

You thought correctly.

However, every comment about a new advancement does NOT have to mention both Intel and AMD, or Windows and OSX, or NV and ATI to be considered a fair and balanced comment. There is no conspiracy or change in policy when a comment only mentions one side of the equation. And a lack of comment on the other side is just that. Nothing. No comment. No implied message. No favoritism. Just a comment.

If you would like to know more about the OpenMM initiatives, please feel free to read about them on their web site and look at their code optimizations on GitHub. It's all Open Sourced and very transparent, if you would just look instead of seeing a problem where there is none.

And considering the latest AMD beta driver (14.1) gave the AMD cards a big boost in folding performance, the software seems to be well optimized for AMD cards already, even though the GNC SDK was only released a few months ago. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
decali

Post by decali »

7im wrote:
mdk777 wrote:I thought Folding attempted to remain hardware neutral.

You thought correctly.

However, every comment about a new advancement does NOT have to mention both Intel and AMD, or Windows and OSX, or NV and ATI to be considered a fair and balanced comment. There is no conspiracy or change in policy when a comment only mentions one side of the equation. And a lack of comment on the other side is just that. Nothing. No comment. No implied message. No favoritism. Just a comment.

If you would like to know more about the OpenMM initiatives, please feel free to read about them on their web site and look at their code optimizations on GitHub. It's all Open Sourced and very transparent, if you would just look instead of seeing a problem where there is none.

And considering the latest AMD beta driver (14.1) gave the AMD cards a big boost in folding performance, the software seems to be well optimized for AMD cards already, even though the GNC SDK was only released a few months ago. ;)
Thanks 7im, that's well put.

Advancing technology, whether it's better hardware or better software, is good for FAH.
OzPapaSmurf
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte Z68 UDR3H
i7 2600K @3.40ghz
2 x GTX660 Ti Gigabyte
32gb DDRIII 1600mhz
128gb Intel SSD
2 x 2.TB drives
Windows 7 64 Ultimate
Cable Net
Folding CPU and GPU 24/7

Post by OzPapaSmurf »

decali wrote: Thanks 7im, that's well put.
Advancing technology, whether it's better hardware or better software, is good for FAH.
I also agree. FAH must use the latest and most favourable technologies available.

I lost 2 Family members to cancer, no more.