GPU PPD List? R9 270X vs GTX 760

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
anti-painkilla

GPU PPD List? R9 270X vs GTX 760

Post by anti-painkilla »

New to this forum so forgive me if I have missed where this is posted.

Do we have a list of PPD for GPUs? I know we used to have one, but that is outdated and only shows the 7xxx series of the AMDs. Also does not give a good PPD indication for the 760.

I am not folding at this point, EVGA replaced my 560ti and I want to sell it and upgrade. Need a bit more information on performance before I buy.

The 560ti was doing 22k and wasting a lot of power.

Would anyone know the PPD for these two cards. They are what I am looking at as there is a $150 price gap between the 760 and the 770.

Thanks in advance.
Anti.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: GPU PPD List? R9 270X vs GTX 760

Post by P5-133XL »

I know of no good current GPU PPD comparisons. That being said, you can compare relative folding capabilities by using OpenCL single precision explicit FAHBench scores. It's not perfect, but it is the best recommendation I can do.
bruce

Post by bruce »

PPD used to be directly related to hardware speed and the FAHBench scores were meaningful. With the advent of the Quick Return Bonus, however, total PPD depends not only on baseline points, but also on speed of your system compared to the deadlines that have been set for the project. The bonus is generally more important than the baseline points. The reason P5-133XL says it's not perfect is that the QRB is a nonlenear function of speed.
n_w95482
Hardware configuration: CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: Radeon RX 6700 XT, Radeon RX 6900 XT

Post by n_w95482 »

If it helps, the R9 270X is about identical to the 7870 other than more memory bandwidth (this doesn't affect F@H). I would expect the GTX 760 to be a bit below the 660 Ti for folding performance.

Considering that, and the chart that P5-133XL linked to, my guess would be that the GTX 760 would be slightly better, but it's hard to say given the recent performance improvements with AMD's drivers. They'll probably be close enough that you could go either way. They're rated for similar levels of heat output as well.

Two potential benefits with AMD: you're not stuck using older drivers for maximum folding performance (with the GTX 760, 327.23 is the newest you can run without decimating your PPD), and core 17 WUs don't peg out one CPU core/thread.

I'd just flip a coin :P.
Folding since December 2003. In memory of my mother, who lost her battle with cancer.

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

I would not flip a coin. As noted in the news blog, there is a future development on the horizon that could as much as double the NV GPU performance with CUDA JIT. If both NV and AMD perform the same now, why not opt for the one with a better future potential?

And with bit miners driving up the prices on AMD hardware, the NV is probably better priced. Easy enough to verify yourself.

And the driver on NV doesn't bother anyone who just folds as you seem to be going. It will be fixed soon enough anyway.

Also note that NV maxwell is not fully supported yet, like any new GPU architecture from either brand, it takes a little time to tweak for the new stuff.

I don't usually recommend one kind of hardware over another, as this forum is hardware agnostic. I have also folded on both kinds. But when I see more potential to help the project from a choice like this, I will express an opinion. It's not about the HW but about helping fah.

Lastly, if you game, buy what works best for what you play. Fah is secondary.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

If you are going for an nVidia GPU, Ti models fold better than non-Ti, on a "bang for buck" basis.

David
n_w95482
Hardware configuration: CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: Radeon RX 6700 XT, Radeon RX 6900 XT

Post by n_w95482 »

7im wrote:I would not flip a coin. As noted in the news blog, there is a future development on the horizon that could as much as double the NV GPU performance with CUDA JIT. If both NV and AMD perform the same now, why not opt for the one with a better future potential?
But there's no timeline on when that will happen (the announcement mentioning it was 9 months ago), or how long it'll take cores/WUs that take advantage of that improvement to become widespread. At this point, it's all up in the air IMO.
7im wrote:And with bit miners driving up the prices on AMD hardware, the NV is probably better priced. Easy enough to verify yourself.
Actually, the R9 270X is substantially cheaper than the GTX 760. $185 vs $236.
7im wrote:And the driver on NV doesn't bother anyone who just folds as you seem to be going. It will be fixed soon enough anyway.
Considering the discrepancy in performance between new and old drivers, it's absolutely worth mentioning whether it's used solely for folding or not. It's been an issue since September, with Nvidia only saying that they're "looking into it". Who knows how long that'll take. People that get new hardware are more likely to just grab the newest driver versus a specific previous driver or older.
7im wrote:I don't usually recommend one kind of hardware over another, as this forum is hardware agnostic. I have also folded on both kinds. But when I see more potential to help the project from a choice like this, I will express an opinion. It's not about the HW but about helping fah.
Where did I imply that?
7im wrote:Lastly, if you game, buy what works best for what you play. Fah is secondary.
This kind of contradicts what you said above...
Folding since December 2003. In memory of my mother, who lost her battle with cancer.