Downclocking a 780 Ti

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Downclocking a 780 Ti

Post by billford »

It seems that my new factory over-clocked GTX 780 Ti (Gigabyte) is just a bit too quick for stable folding on some projects… and as I'm running it under Linux there's no easy way to slow it down (though I'm open to suggestions!).

As it's intended to be a dedicated folding machine I'm not too worried about the OS and am prepared to install Windows… probably 32-bit Vista as it's about the only version I've any familiarity with (I prefer Macs). It'll do what's needed and it's a lot cheaper than W7/8.

Question: The driver version on the DVD that came with the card is 331.60, I think I've seen posts here suggesting the 331's don't work too well for folding but I'm unfamiliar with the Windows versions.

I've got the DVD that came with a GTX 650 Ti, also Gigabyte, that has 320.49 drivers on it. Would I be better off using those? I assume they're not card-specific?

And if anyone knows whether the Gigabyte "OC Guru" utility on the DVD is good enough for tweaking, that would be useful.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: Downclocking a 780 Ti

Post by PantherX »

If you are willing to try something new, you could consider flashing the BIOS of the GPU to a lower frequency one. This does work for Linux but am unfamiliar with the method since an incorrect BIOS flash may permanently damage your GPU.

Since GTX 780 Ti is a GK110, the driver slow-down bug doesn't effect it so you can use the latest version of Nvidia Drivers in Windows (and I think the same applies to Linux too, but am unsure). Do note that the 320.49 Drivers may not work since the GPU was released after GTX 650 Ti so the driver won't recognize it (my suggestion would be to stick with the latest Driver release). Regarding the slow-down bug, a beta FahCore_17 version 0.0.55 is attempting to fix this and so far, results are looking good (slow-down is either not present or insignificant).

I haven't used OC Guru since I stick to either EVGA Precision X or MAI Afterburner which works on a wide variety of GPUs and have very similar interfaces.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Rel25917

Post by Rel25917 »

For a 780ti(gk110) go for the latest drivers. It is gk104 cards that have issues with newer drivers. Never used Gigabytes program. If you are familiar with one version of windows the rest aren't hard to figure out, just a matter figuring out where they moved crap to. The interface on 8 also blows unless using a touchscreen.
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

Many thanks both :)

I'll give the OC Guru a try, if I can't get on with it I'll try one of the others mentioned.

I've heard mixed reports about Windows 7 and 8… and if I'm honest I don't like Vista much, but as I said- it's cheap!

@ PantherX- when I think what the card cost there's no way I'm going to risk a BIOS flash!
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

billford wrote:...@ PantherX- when I think what the card cost there's no way I'm going to risk a BIOS flash!
I agree. When I got my GTX 660 Ti and was testing in Linux, was really tempted to flash it but the price tag put me off. I do have a spare Gigabyte GTX 260 SOC that I am willing to flash but just haven't gotten around to it.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

First: thanks for posting the "Information About GPUs.txt File" topic- I'd completely forgotten about that, a timely reminder :)

GPU's in general are a new field for me, I'd appreciate some guidance on the best way to "tune" them for best speed and stability for folding. I think I've seen in a post somewhere that the memory clock isn't critical for this application, so my thoughts at the moment (bearing in mind that the card is OK on some projects so probably doesn't need much reduction in speed) are:

Drop the memory clock by 5% and leave it alone.

Drop the graphics clock by 64MHz, if it's stable over a few WUs that have given trouble before then increase it by 32MHz.

Depending on whether it's still stable or not, increase or decrease the clock by 16MHz, repeat with steps of 8MHz, 4MHz etc until I've homed in on the maximum speed it will tolerate. Then maybe knock off a few MHz to give a safety margin.

If I've understood things correctly it's also got an "adaptive boost" option- put that to zero (or disable it if possible).

Does that look a reasonable course of action? And are these settings stored in some non-volatile manner or would I have to re-enter them after a reboot?
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

Sounds a reasonable approach -- though you may need to monitor which projects are running so you know that you have tested with the ones that cause problems.
The utilities I use on Windows (different manufacturer, 660Ti) allow me to save a profile, but I'm not sure that I've used it for speeds. I do use it for a custom fan profile to keep the card cool at full fold.

You haven't mentioned temperature (nor has any of us asked) -- if you still have Linux running, try a utility like Psensor to check the GPU temp. Stability might be improved by increasing airflow (clean filters, remove side panel, fit extra fan, etc).

David
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

davidcoton wrote:Sounds a reasonable approach -- though you may need to monitor which projects are running so you know that you have tested with the ones that cause problems.
Yes, I've got a spreadsheet ready to make sure I can keep track of what works/doesn't and what I've done, I just need to set up a frequency column.
You haven't mentioned temperature (nor has any of us asked) -- if you still have Linux running, try a utility like Psensor to check the GPU temp. Stability might be improved by increasing airflow (clean filters, remove side panel, fit extra fan, etc).
It's a brand new computer (only picked up last Wednesday) so everything is still squeaky clean.

I won't be getting Vista until (probably) Thursday, so it's still running Linux with the advanced flag off- it's quite happy with P13000/1's. I'll need to shut it down if P9101 or P9408 go to full, it worked on a P9406. I don't think there are any others pending full release.

The driver package include a temperature monitor- the GPU runs in the yellow at a steady 82-83ºC with the fans at ~55% which I think is well within spec; 95ºC max iirc. Sides on or off makes no difference.

I've noticed that the temperature drops to the mid-60's on the troublesome WUs but it doesn't cause them to start processing properly, so it would seem that temperature is a second-order influence at best.

I've thought about fitting a new case extract fan if I can find a quieter one- the current bog-standard one is the source of nearly all the noise! The others (cpu, 3x gpu) all use fancy blade shapes and are very quiet.
kiore

Post by kiore »

Although those temps sound OK, I run my GTX 780tis much cooler than that, I have 2 running in the open which are twin fan versions and the inside one is at 58c and outside one at 44c at full power folding 24/7. These are factory 'super clocked' versions with a little more added on. I never bother with the memory clock for folding.
I suggest you wind up the cooling before dropping anything else, it could be enough to make the difference. IMO temperature is the key for OCing not 2nd order at all, it is not as if you factory OC will really be that extreme.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

kiore wrote:I suggest you wind up the cooling before dropping anything else, it could be enough to make the difference. IMO temperature is the key for OCing not 2nd order at all, it is not as if you factory OC will really be that extreme.
OK, I'll try that first, it's certainly worth a shot. If it doesn't work I'm no worse off than before, if it does I can try winding the clock up instead of down :D

I must admit that I've had no problems with the 650 TI and that runs in the low 50's… which could support your opinion.

Is it likely to hurt anything (ignoring my eardrums) if I just put the fans to 100% and leave them there?
kiore

Post by kiore »

Other comments: You will need the more modern driver to fold with BTW .
Do you have 3 GPUs on this system or are the others on other systems? Just you could have a bit of a hot point somewhere not picked up by the monitor properly. Perhaps a fan directly over the gpus (if you have them up against each other) to move more air around them or feed to fans, might not have to be a very big one to make the difference. In the past when I have had up to 4 GPUs on a single mobo I have positioned fans directly on top of them in either push or pull depending on which seems to work better.
As for adjusting the card fans, maybe not 100%, try going up by 10% at a time, could be just another 10 or 20% drop those temps 5c which could make all the difference.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

Fan's running at 100% tend to be short-lived fans. 70%-80% is typically better for longevity.
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

kiore wrote: Do you have 3 GPUs on this system or are the others on other systems?
No, the GPU has got 3 fans, with 2 heatsinks connected by heat pipes :)
As for adjusting the card fans, maybe not 100%, try going up by 10% at a time, could be just another 10 or 20% drop those temps 5c which could make all the difference.
Fair enough. (And I've just seen PS-133XL's comment)

I'll always take someone's real-life experience over my theorising, so I took the side off the computer and pointed a 12" desk fan at it… the temperature dropped to just under 70ºC.

But before I could put the client-type to advanced to see what happened, it picked that moment to download another P13000. So that test will have to wait until later today.

If it works I'll have to go hunting for the instructions how to change the fan speeds under Linux, I'm sure I've seen them somewhere. It'll save the ignominy of having to revert to Windows :wink:
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

My 780Ti runs at about 72ºC, max 76ºC. Not sure what the fan cycle is, it's Linux here too on that PC. But if the temp drops with the troublesome WUs I don't think its purely thermal.

Is the PSU adequate? A 780TI draws a lot of 12V and needs a good single rail supply -- at least 650W (should be right if the PC and GPU came together).

Make sure you have the latest nVidia Linux driver, and check the beta thread for those projects that failed -- I think there was one that needed the latest Core_17 (beta is Win only at present, so that's a problem) though I haven't had a problem here.

David
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

davidcoton wrote:But if the temp drops with the troublesome WUs I don't think its purely thermal.
Maybe not, but it's worth a try.
Is the PSU adequate? A 780TI draws a lot of 12V and needs a good single rail supply -- at least 650W (should be right if the PC and GPU came together).
NVidia (and Novatech, who I bought the computer from) recommend a minimum of 600W which is what it's got, it seems OK. There's nothing else pulling a lot of power in the box and its fan doesn't have much to do. (edit- adding up the individual powers it's about 700W but combined power not to exceed 600W, the 12V rail can provide up to 45A)
Make sure you have the latest nVidia Linux driver
Both GPUs are using 319.32 which is the latest I could find in the repositories. I think there are later ones on the NVidia site, but I don't feel competent to install new drivers from a command line.
and check the beta thread for those projects that failed
I always keep an eye on the beta forum to see what they're hatching now ( :wink: ), there were some problems with P9408 but they didn't seem to have a bearing on mine. And all the available ZETA projects are fine on the 650 Ti (possibly excepting P9408, it hasn't had one yet).