OC GPU TEMPS

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
JobElihu

OC GPU TEMPS

Post by JobElihu »

I have two dedicated rigs folding. One has a GTX 460 that is doing just fine but it's temp is around 86-90 C. I'm afraid to overclock it and actually worried about burning it out completely. What is a good target temperature range to be in? What cooling techniques are available to help with cooling? Remove the side cover? Is water cooled gpus a route to consider? Should I not fold so constantly or should I let it burn out so I can tell my wife we need a new video card? :D

Any recommended programs for monitoring and OCing CPU and/or GPUs?

Thank you all for the help especially for a newcomer like myself.
mdk777

Re: OC GPU TEMPS

Post by mdk777 »

Not the best forum for this discussion.
OC is not endorsed for obvious reasons...unstable cards produce failed WU.

I would suggest many enthusiast forums that FOLD. For example EVGA has a Folding forum.
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Talking to your wife and get a new card might better considering that the energy consumption might be lower on newer cards with better PPD. But that's just me ... Convincing wifes in general can be a challenge too (specially if they are not interested in the topic :roll: ; it's the second reason why I don't have yet any GTX 980)
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

A GPU should survive at 90C, but its life MAY be shortened. It's very difficult to prove any connection between temperatures in the range 60-90C and reduced life. Personally I wouldn't add any overclock if it is already at 90C, and I prefer (with newer cards) to run lower temps -- not normally above 80C for my 660Ti and 780Ti.

Try using nvidia utility to set a higher fan speed.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

The GPU itself can take a fair amount of abuse.
With Folding 24/7/365, the heat soaking of the card, especially the VRM becomes an issue.
Setting very high fan speeds (100%) will subsequently result in card life degradation due to premature fan failure.

So, everything is a balance. I like to see lower GPU temps, because I know the entire card is staying cooler.
If this can be achieved with 40-60% fan setting, all the better.

YMMV depending on room temp, rig air flow, tolerance for noise, OEM VS CUSTOM gpu fan design , etc. etc. ect.
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!