Just a Quick Question.

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Spud1200

Just a Quick Question.

Post by Spud1200 »

I just wanted to ask how many PPD you would return using a ASUS GeForce GTX 650ti and how many WU would you be looking to turn over Per Day.. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it as I'm thinking of buying one for my rig from Play.com.
uddarts

Re: Just a Quick Question.

Post by uddarts »

you can expect to see an average of 30k-1wu/day on a win 7 machine. i just added a 650ti to run with a 560ti/448 in my sister's rig, so i can't be any more precise than that. :D

ud
win7 64bit / amd 630 cpu 3 / 750ti - gm 107 / 337.88 drivers / v7.4.4
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Maybe better looking into something newer ... maxwell 750ti or 970 ? More power efficient and much more points (with the right work units). There are still some issues reported though and you might want to wait a bit with an investment.

If you go with 650Ti or similar make sure to use older drivers (30x.x or 31x.x) as they are better working. Newer driver have an issue with computing/folding on older cards and slow down the process. The newer driver work better with GTX 780 and similar.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Asus GTX 970 is an absolutely sweet card, but it's very new so there are some software issues that will likely be resolved over time. In Windows, there's a driver issue that forces F@h to run at substandard speed, and the drivers in Linux aren't new enough to support the card unless you install the driver manually. Given that it's a long-term investement, I would recommend the 970, but wait for a few months and hopefully things will be sorted out by then.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Obviously you would have asked about a top of the line GPU if that was in your budget, so my recommendation will be a little more in your ballpark. This is not a recommendation against a 650 Ti, which is a good option. Also consider the 750 Ti, which costs a little more, but worth it. Newer generation card and more power efficient than the 6xx series GPUs. Running cost might be a factor not yet considered.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
artoar_11
Hardware configuration: AMD R7 3700X @ 4.0 GHz; ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING; DDR4 2x8GB @ 3.0 GHz; GByte RTX 3060 Ti @ 1890 MHz; Fortron-550W 80+ bronze; Win10 Pro/64

Post by artoar_11 »

My GTX 650 Ti @ 1.10 GHz; Vmem - 5400 MHz:

Project; PPD
9202 - 28,100
9406 - 31,900
9408 - 29,600
10470 - 27,900
10472 - 30,200
13001 - 31,600

GTX 750 Ti makes about 60,000 PPD. Energy consumption, is almost equally.
Spud1200

Post by Spud1200 »

Instead of the 650Ti I went for the 630 Palit 2GB Edition. Being pretty skint at the minute I decided it was better to have something rather than nothing considering I have no GPU Folding at the Minute what so ever.

Any know what the PPD will be on the Card when I pick it up from the Post office tomorrow as I missed the delivery today.

At the minute I'm Folding on my Duel core and have no GPU what so ever, but to be quite honest my MoBo is quite old so I'm not sure if I will get the best out of say the latest 3.0 PCIe Card if I decide to Blow out on Xmas.

How would that work when Crunching \ Folding, having a older MoBo with a PCIe Card at 3.0 Interface when it come to an older Bus on the MoBo.Would the acutall Card need the Full bandwidth of the 3.0 Interface or would the card be considered pretty independent as in taking the Wu, Processing them and sending the Results back out threw the System and then when Completed back over the Web.
artoar_11
Hardware configuration: AMD R7 3700X @ 4.0 GHz; ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING; DDR4 2x8GB @ 3.0 GHz; GByte RTX 3060 Ti @ 1890 MHz; Fortron-550W 80+ bronze; Win10 Pro/64

Post by artoar_11 »

Watching the wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_600_series

GeForce GT 630; GK107 (Kepler); 192 Cuda cores; DDR3; OEM
GeForce GT 630; GF108 (Fermi); 96 Cuda cores; DDR3; Retail
GeForce GT 630; GK208 (Kepler); 384 Cuda cores;DDR3; ??
GeForce GT 630; GF108 (Fermi); 96 Cuda cores; DDR5; Retail

For FAH is important the number of Cuda Cores. Kepler is more energy efficient than Fermi. PCIe 2/3 for these cards is not important. No bottleneck.
Number of Cuda Cores 96, will run slowly with these WUs that have a large number of atoms (my opinion). GTX 650 (w/o Ti), or GT 630 (GK208 Kepler, 384 Cuda Cores) is a good compromise.
Spud1200

Post by Spud1200 »

How would I go about setting up the GPU under the Client Ver. 7.4.4 . I have my new Card installed and ready to use but unsure how to get the F@H Application to recognized the Graphics Card. I've been looking at the Slots and every time I think I've added the GPU I'm adding the CPU again on my Duel core.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Spud1200 wrote:Instead of the 650Ti I went for the 630 Palit 2GB Edition. Being pretty skint at the minute I decided it was better to have something rather than nothing considering I have no GPU Folding at the Minute what so ever.
I hope you won't be disappointed. I have a GT 630 which I do not use for folding. It's in a system with 2 GPUs and I use it to drive my screen so that the other GPU can do nothing other than folding. It's just too slow to satisfy my desires. (I'm not sure if it's the same GT630 that you have, though.)

As far as setup is concerned, the FAH client should recognize the GPU automatically provided you have an up-to-date driver from NVidia at the time you install FAH; you don't have to do anything. Also, if you add a GPU slot to an existing installation, you just need to pick that option on the lower part of that page rather than the CPU slot on the top part of the page.

By the way, the 2GB of VideoRAM is not useful for FAH if one with less RAM was available. (It does allow you to drive larger monitors a higher resolutions with more colors.) If your owly purpose is FAH, then choose the smallest RAM that you can on your next GPU.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Select the radio button next to GPU. CPU is selected by default.

The better way is to install the client again so it auto detects the GPU.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Spud1200

Post by Spud1200 »

I've managed to connect the GPU in the Tower System to the F@H Client and its now processing a Core 17 WU. Just disappointment that I'm only getting a little more than 3000 PPD in return but then again it was only a £50 GPU.

I'm curious as to if a Xeon would make any difference. I've posted back to let you know its up and running and its fine but I also have a Duel Socket HP Pro Liant Tower Server hear running one CPU Socket-ed Xeon at 3.0Ghz, over a 72GB RAID set up with 2Gb of Memory. Now the only thing or problem I have is that I don't know anything about Servers or setting up the likes of Open SUSE, configuring the Software to interact with other Clients on the Home Network.

At the Minute I have one Tower F@H, with one CPU Slot on my Duel Core and my GPU and 4 other PC Computers doing SETI@Home. So if I were to Fold on the Xeon how would I go about it. What OS would I install and how would I utilize effectively a Server Hardware setup to Fold.

I have a Tape Drive in it along with a DVD Rom.

If you want to look up the Specs its a, HP Pro Liant, ML350 G4 .

If anyone has advice I would appreciate it.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

3000 PPD sounds really low; did you installed a passkey ? And is it qualified (more then 10WU returned, 80% success rate) ? And give the client soe frames to get a better estimate. (At least 5 frames).
What WU did you received ? What is the TimePerFrame (TPF) ? Mind sharing the part of the log file where the GPU got identified (and its chipset)
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
n_w95482
Hardware configuration: CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: Radeon RX 6700 XT, Radeon RX 6900 XT

Post by n_w95482 »

Spud1200 wrote:...I'm curious as to if a Xeon would make any difference. I've posted back to let you know its up and running and its fine but I also have a Duel Socket HP Pro Liant Tower Server hear running one CPU Socket-ed Xeon at 3.0Ghz, over a 72GB RAID set up with 2Gb of Memory. Now the only thing or problem I have is that I don't know anything about Servers or setting up the likes of Open SUSE, configuring the Software to interact with other Clients on the Home Network.

At the Minute I have one Tower F@H, with one CPU Slot on my Duel Core and my GPU and 4 other PC Computers doing SETI@Home. So if I were to Fold on the Xeon how would I go about it. What OS would I install and how would I utilize effectively a Server Hardware setup to Fold.

I have a Tape Drive in it along with a DVD Rom.

If you want to look up the Specs its a, HP Pro Liant, ML350 G4 .

If anyone has advice I would appreciate it.
That system uses Pentium 4-based Xeons. You'll get very low PPD and a lot of heat generated. Unless you have very cheap/free electricity, my opinion is that it's not worth it. Your GT 630 will smoke that setup and use a LOT less power.
Folding since December 2003. In memory of my mother, who lost her battle with cancer.

Spud1200

Post by Spud1200 »

Thanks for the feed back. I've haven't got the Server Booted at the minute and their isn't even a OS on it. I'm still undecided what to do with it to be honest. I nearly died, lol, when I saw the 300W Minimum PSU Usage for the 630 I installed. It was a good job I upgraded my PSU it self no so Long ago.

As far as I'm aware its a pretty level entry card for PCIe but I'm pleased I have something other than nothing.

Can I ask is the 3000 PPD average for the System and the Card or will that change form WU to WU as in mabie more or less.