folding@home in Amazon's cloud

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
jordanps

folding@home in Amazon's cloud

Post by jordanps »

We just published a blog post about our experiments running folding@home on AWS:
http://blog.mapleavenuelabs.com/folding ... azons-aws/

It's mostly written for a general audience (we hope it might bring more people to the folding@home project), but we've systematically studied the efficiency of the different AWS machine types and present our results. In addition, we give step-by-step instructions so that anyone with a working familiarity with AWS can fold in the cloud. Hopefully some of your might find it useful, or at least interesting!
jason403

Re: folding@home in Amazon's cloud

Post by jason403 »

Any idea if taking their offer for 12 month free trial would work for folding on the Chrome(NACL) client?
jordanps

Post by jordanps »

Hm, that's a good question. My guess is no - we found that the low-powered instances (like t2.micro, the instance type provided in the free usage tier) couldn't finish work units before they expired (I think our t2.micro instance was on track to finish its work unit in about two months, haha). However, I don't know much about the NaCL client - I've used it a handful of times, and it seemed like it used especially small work units. Does it have access to work units smaller than those that would be allocated to FAHClient?
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Yes they are much smaller, NaCL client WU take about 3 minutes each on my machine - the fastest SMP WU takes about 4 hours
jordanps

Post by jordanps »

Oh, interesting - I'd love to do some more investigation into this. I know NaCL's WUs come from a different assignment server than "traditional" work units - does anyone know if it's possible to have the normal fah client use this assignment server (via config options)? Or if it's easy to set up a NaCL client that runs outside of a browser?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Chrome Browser only at this time. Not available in the full fah client.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
jordanps

Post by jordanps »

Okay, good to know! Thanks.