Mixing graphics cards need some guidance

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Green

Mixing graphics cards need some guidance

Post by Green »

I have a 270x and was wanting to make it dedicated so I could still game. I was thinking a since its r9 a r7 might work in conjunction on windows seven. That being said I would like to buy a 6450 right now because they are cheap same reason r9 and 6450. Really any knowledge about mixing amd drivers would be helpful. Ive been out and cant remember nvidia specs on mixing anymore. Thanks, really hope to come up with something quickly.
Very Respectfully
Ben D.C. Bruner
JimF

Re: Mixing graphics cards need some guidance

Post by JimF »

The quick response is: don't do it.

The somewhat more nuanced response is that it might work. You never know. The FAH Client does what it wants. There are long discussions on how to make it work somewhere if you want to search for them. It is better if the cards are matched; that is, the chip manufacturer is the same (AMD or Nvidia), and the number of cores are equal. Beyond that, you get into deep water. As a start, be sure to do a clean uninstall of your present drivers with a driver uninstaller - I like Display Driver Uninstaller at the moment, though Driver Fusion is good too. Then install both cards, and load the drivers in. Mixing Nvidia and AMD is the most problematic, but I think it worked for me once some years ago, and Core_17 (when and if available for both cards) is a lot better than the older cores, so it might work. Since you seem to be using only AMD, and they are on Core_17 only at the moment (at least for the 7000 series, R7 and R9; don't know about the 6450) , you have a chance.

By the way, I fold on two GTX 750 Tis which are both dedicated, and use the internal Intel graphics for display purposes. (That works on my motherboard, though not all motherboards allow both internal and PCIe graphics to be used simultaneously.) But Folding does not work at all on the Intel chip, so it does not interfere with Folding on the Nvidia cards. In your case, the FAH client will probably try to Fold on both cards; if you want to exclude the 6450, then just delete its Folding slot and hope that it does not reappear on the next reboot. It might work.

Good luck.
bruce

Re: Mixing graphics cards need some guidance

Post by bruce »

JimF wrote:Mixing Nvidia and AMD is the most problematic, but I think it worked for me once some years ago, and Core_17 (when and if available for both cards) is a lot better than the older cores, so it might work. Since you seem to be using only AMD, and they are on Core_17 only at the moment (at least for the 7000 series, R7 and R9; don't know about the 6450) , you have a chance
Good luck.
I can't say that mixing NV and AMD is IMPOSSIBLE, but it almost is, so don't do it, like JimF says. Matched GPUs will work because the drivers are tested on a card with dual GPUs (highest performance card on the market). Unmatched GPUs from the same manufacturer are likely to work if they're the same generation -- and less likely as their generations get farther apart.