Which one of theese cards will be best.

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Spud1200

Which one of theese cards will be best.

Post by Spud1200 »

I'm looking at the 240 , 250 , 250X

Those cards above if I order today I can have it delivered by Saturday and now I'm running a 7 HP Windows set up, I'm hoping its going to a lot easier to install unlike my previous Linux set up what I gave up one.

This is from the Radion R7 Series.

If I don't get back straight away, I'll reply asap.

Thank you folks.
davidcoton

Re: Which one of theese cards will be best.

Post by davidcoton »

Define "Best"! Do you want top performance for a given cost limit, top return per dollar/pound/euro/yen invested, top return per watt hour of electricity used, or something else?

I'm sure the comparative figures are on the forum somewhere, try a search (top right of screen). If you ask me, my (prejudiced and unscientific) answer would be "none of the above" since I have only used nVidia GPUs.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

If performance is the only issue, then the 250X is the clear winner with the most shaders of the 3 options listed.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jakem8

Post by Jakem8 »

I'm also wondering about this.
Are gaming GPUs best? Would I be best getting 4xTitan X's or shall I consider investing in GPUs made for rendering?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

FAH doesn't take advantage of anything a Quadro or Tesla could offer. The first series (Quadro) provide drivers optimized for CAD, picture treatment, and such things (professional 3D and video) and the second series (Tesla), although GPGPU oriented, only offer features that FAH does not need (double precision, ECC memory, huge amount of memory), so it is not worth the extra cost.

FAH is aimed at common hardware to be sure that everyone could participate.

And for the best hardware to use, it depend on what you are looking for : maximum performance whatever the cost (Titan X), best PPD/W (GTX 970), best PPD/W with extra money to spend (GTX 980), best PPD/W but with limited budget (GTX 960 or lower depending on the limit on the budget).

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
wilding2004

Post by wilding2004 »

Jakem8 wrote:I'm also wondering about this.
Are gaming GPUs best? Would I be best getting 4xTitan X's or shall I consider investing in GPUs made for rendering?

The gpu's in pro rendering cards (Firestream or Quadro) are basically the same as the gpu's in the gaming cards (Radeon or Geforce). The differences are mainly in the drivers and memory modules.

As for which gpu is best. My vote currently goes to the GTX970. I've used both ATi and Nvidia over the years for folding (and Matrox, Voodoo, S3, cirrus logic for gaming - so i'm no fanboy), but right now Nvidia rule. Tomorrow who knows?