Unable to undervolt or underclock a 280x with windows 10

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
fragiggle

Unable to undervolt or underclock a 280x with windows 10

Post by fragiggle »

I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out my lowest stable voltage before adjusting the clock speed. I found I could reduce it from 1.131V to 1.000V at 1ghz, pretty decent power savings with equal performance in my mind. furmark ran for a long time on that.

I attempted to start folding with the settings, but voltage jumps right back up to 1.131. so I launched a game and voltage dropped right to 1.000V. I set the profiles in afterburner to be undervolted for 2d and 3d applications. still no go. just to see if maybe the card would only do 1.131v at 1ghz, i overclocked 1.5v and 1.05ghz and and the clocks held through when i started folding.

So why would folding at home be the only application i have found to not undervolt/underclock, but will overvolt/overclock?

If anyone uses a gpu overclock utility that allows for this, I would be excited to hear about it.

I don't know if this is a driver issue, I will move this if it is in the wrong place, just point me in the right direction please.

Hardware:
windows 10 pro 64bit
his iceq x^2 boost clock 280x
i7 4771
asus z87-pro
if you need to know more, just ask.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Unable to undervolt or underclock a 280x with windows 10

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

You may find better answers on a hardware support forum that covers under and overclocking of GPU's. However, furmark is not a good test for folding stability. You might want to try FAHbench, it is based on actual folding code and work. I suspect it is not a driver issue.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3