New Build Advice

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
bridaddy

New Build Advice

Post by bridaddy »

Hello All!

Been awhile since I've posted here, but been folding since Jan of 2000 I believe or there abouts :)

I have definetely gotten my money's worth from an overclocked i7 920 and a 7950. It is about time to updates, and was looking for recommendations for building a solid folding rig, in addition to my other needs.

CPU wise I'm likely going to wait for 7th generation Intel, and GPU wise it looks like there are more options than ever before. I'm completely out of the loop though, so if I'm wrong, please tell me (kinda the point of my post).

From first inspection, it looks like the R9 Nano puts up solid numbers and does so with drastically reduced power and noise. I don't mind spending money, my greater concerns are efficiency / noise and a powerful rig. Unless I'm wrong (which is very, very possible) it seems like the Nano does good work at 100w less than the flagship.

Can some people out there provide some recommendations? I'd be looking for a rig that will start folding again 24/7, the GF won't kill me about the noise, and that the electricity used is used efficiently.

Thanks for your time and assistance!

- Bridaddy
bruce

Re: New Build Advice

Post by bruce »

Buying whatever you can afford of the latest technology will almost always give you better performance at the lowest power but you'll generally spend more on your initial investment. You've mentioned several other factors which are important to you and that should also influence your choices.

You didn't mention whether you're a gamer, too, or AMD vs. NVidia, if that happens to matter to you. (Both have some good choices.)

The disadvantage of buying the latest technology is that you'll have to deepen on the professional hardware reviews. We're really not qualified in that arena and when people discuss their hardware here, it always comes with their particular biases.

People reporting on their Fury and FuryX seem to like them
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Talking about bias: I'm a fan of the green side of GPU folding and use two GTX 970 under Linux (CentOS 7). One 970 pulls avg. 155W and yield around 280k PPD in the long run. Not bad for my taste.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
wilding2004

Post by wilding2004 »

ChristianVirtual wrote:Talking about bias: I'm a fan of the green side of GPU folding and use two GTX 970 under Linux (CentOS 7). One 970 pulls avg. 155W and yield around 280k PPD in the long run. Not bad for my taste.
I have generally leaned more toward the red team over the years, no reason why other than at each moment in time I decided to upgrade, ATi had the better options. But my latest upgrade was to a pair of Geforce 970's. No bias involved, they're just the best cards to fold with in terms of initial cost, running costs, ppd, ppw, pp£.