CPU vs GPU?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
senpai

CPU vs GPU?

Post by senpai »

Is folding on CPU still worthwhile? Or is it insignificant vs GPU?

I have a couple of machines with no GPU that occasionally run Prime95 on for heating. I'm wondering how worthwhile they'd be to the F@H project.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: CPU vs GPU?

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding forum.

CPU folding is still doing worthwhile science, a number of projects are only being processed on CPU's. In addition there are a few projects being run on CPU's to validate the results from GPU folding with a new core.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

If your main purpose is electric room heating, then most definitely replace Prime95 with FAH. First, it will do some useful work. Second, it may actually produce more heat.

About the only part of FAH you need to learn about is how to use Finish when you're ready to quit heating. [More detailed knowledge of other parts of FAH is optional.]
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

senpai wrote:Is folding on CPU still worthwhile? Or is it insignificant vs GPU?

I have a couple of machines with no GPU that occasionally run Prime95 on for heating. I'm wondering how worthwhile they'd be to the F@H project.
Its worthwhile as long as you currently have the kit, however there is no point upgrading a cpu for F@H at the current time.

As for heating - F@H will run your processor flat out so it will generate quite a bit of heat, in the room where I have my rigs I never have to have the heating on - 2 machines keep it at a nice 20-22deg c
senpai

Post by senpai »

Thank you all for your replies. I'll start running F@H instead then once I finish rebuilding the machine. ^^