Dedicated rig High end GPU Low end CPU?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
JonasTheMovie

Re: Dedicated rig High end GPU Low end CPU?

Post by JonasTheMovie »

Actually, I clicked on "Purchase" now. Using stock cooler for CPU. So this is what I ordered. With shipping it came down to 1174USD, but would probably cost 1000 in the US:
I kept the SSD, but could of gone for a Ubuntu on USB solution. I just could´t find any good threads on performance and longevity, they were all about "folding@school".
Leaving the CPU watercooler out kind of bugs me, but it was on back order so....

Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

edit: Nvm
JonasTheMovie

Post by JonasTheMovie »

Nathan_P wrote:edit: Nvm
Come on! What was it? :)
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

I started typing before you posted that you had hit the purchase button, I would still have looked at a better psu and a 980ti - I'm not sure what a fury x gets in terms of PPD but a 980ti can get 500k or more under Linux.

Out of curiosity which web site did you use?
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

i think he used netonnet.se
bruce

Post by bruce »

I still don't appreciate why you want to go with water cooling. When in doubt, I always vote for simplicity, and a lot less can go wrong with air cooled compared to water cooled.
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Post by muziqaz »

k1wi, will due respect, please do not mislead others about why Fury x needs water cooler. Please.
Power usage was never a reason it needed AIO. It was just design decision plus PR decision to create appealing and nice look. I would say this was more of the marketing taking over.
We have fury (non x) which is air cooled and I am yet to see anyone complain that that card over heats or fans cannot keep it at reasonable temps. On a contrary non x fury is much cooler than comparable nvidia cards.
And if I may pitch in in regards to the OP raised questions/opinions:
Fury X is not ideal for folding. Not because of what others are saying.
I have 3 of them so I guess I am more qualified than any of you guys here.
The reason is performance. It averages 400k PPD on a good day and 350ppd on a bad day.
This puts it around gtx980 ballpark. 980ti especially over clocked runs away embarrassing fury.
This is due to AMD ignorance of this project.
Other reason of why it is bad for folding stated here is just peoples personal misconceptions which are so common on internets. It's AMD they are s***, right?
Now if i may say why Fury x IS good for dedicated folder.
Cool, very quiet and most of all extremely stable and reliable for science. I will say this to those who know what I mean: who was folding stable without any issues in past several months? Was it nvidia? I know now it is fixed by whatever workarounds labs managed to fit in, but who is to say nvidia won't botch their drivers again? So I will leave it at that to those who know what i mean.
Now in regards to pumping air into the case. DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT do that. You will fail to cool CPU in the first place, and you GPU will be basically in the oven. Your motherboard VRM and other components will be cooking. RAM is the worst when under heat. SSD will have much more chance to fail and it will due to the heat, as flash memory used in ssd is extremely sensitive to temperatures. I have Intel 750 series SSD which is fixed next to the gpu and it is not the most stable bird in the cage I tell you that.
Sonin conclusion, if you are dedicated to get AMD folder, go for it, but rethink the cooling design in the case, please ;)
FAH Beta tester
JonasTheMovie

Post by JonasTheMovie »

I never wanted this thread to be about AMD vs Nvidia, the main question was the need for CPU performance when folding on GPU only. If I wanted to compete for ppd rankings I would of gone with 3 gtx980ti in a gigantic case and let it scream. But I have no interest in bragging rights, but want a stable and compact unit for a ok price. I live in a cramped apartment and have limited budget, so keeping it to one GPU in a small case was the way to go. I compared alot of benchmarks and the gtx980ti really bashed out alot of ppd, but the FuryX is far more attractive when it comes to the balance of power usage, temperature and size, and also price. The form factor with 190mm card and off card watercooling is probably mostly PR, as muziqaz mentions, but it facilitates this build, so thats just perfect. To make it a all in AMD build, with the latest GPU in the smallest case is the motivation to finally press the purchase button and contribute. A rig that is folding is making more good than a theoretical rig that is not...

Exhaust the hot air directly in the front is set, but I need to get ome magnetic filters to keep the case clean.
muziqaz

Post by muziqaz »

JonasTheMovie wrote:I never wanted this thread to be about AMD vs Nvidia, the main question was the need for CPU performance when folding on GPU only. If I wanted to compete for ppd rankings I would of gone with 3 gtx980ti in a gigantic case and let it scream. But I have no interest in bragging rights, but want a stable and compact unit for a ok price. I live in a cramped apartment and have limited budget, so keeping it to one GPU in a small case was the way to go. I compared alot of benchmarks and the gtx980ti really bashed out alot of ppd, but the FuryX is far more attractive when it comes to the balance of power usage, temperature and size, and also price. The form factor with 190mm card and off card watercooling is probably mostly PR, as muziqaz mentions, but it facilitates this build, so thats just perfect. To make it a all in AMD build, with the latest GPU in the smallest case is the motivation to finally press the purchase button and contribute. A rig that is folding is making more good than a theoretical rig that is not...

Exhaust the hot air directly in the front is set, but I need to get ome magnetic filters to keep the case clean.
JonasThe Movie, this thread is not. folding@home community is quite good when it comes to these matter. I was just surprised at some oldtimers wrong comments, that's all ;) It is obvious you have your rig designed according to your likings and Fury X is great for you for that build. Regarding the GPU cooling, if you went 3rd party nvidia or other AMD, the coolers are designed to push air inside the case, not like those hoover like coolers of old. Now all the air circulation happens inside of the case, and not taking air from inside of the case to push it outside through the back. Fury X takes air from somewhere in the case and takes it outside.
As I said before, Fury X came with AIO due to PR/marketing. GPU does not clock up, VRM are cooled just for the f**** of it, and early batches of the pumps came with annoying buzz which AMD got a lot of bollocking. So sane AMD would have skipped AIO exclusivity and gone with 3rd party air. non x Fury was released from idiotic AMD PR team and given to people who actually know wtf they are doing.
After all is said and done, Fury X is great folder, not great PPD generator, but great folder. period. If anyone ever tries to say otherwise, ignore them, as they are ignoring past experience of their own ;)
Also of note, I would suggest disabling CPU power features, as that cpu is very downclock happy. IF you don't want to fold on cpu, you can even disable one core in BIOS, and keep single core always clocked at 3.7 or whatever ghz it has by default. That will ensure quite a few projects to spend less time at sanity checking, as this process is very CPU intensive.
FAH Beta tester
JonasTheMovie

Post by JonasTheMovie »

Not sure I understood that sanity checking part, could you explain it further? How can less cpu power make less time in a cpu intensive task? It is moved to someone else?
muziqaz

Post by muziqaz »

JonasTheMovie wrote:Not sure I understood that sanity checking part, could you explain it further? How can less cpu power make less time in a cpu intensive task? It is moved to someone else?
Sanity check is period when data folded on GPU is check by CPU, as far as I understand. It happens several times during WU folding. At that moment CPU core is loaded fully, and the faster the CPU the quicker it finishes. During that time GPU I think is doing nothing. These sanity checks are not very long lasting just seconds, and they are single threaded, so second core does nothing to it. Your selected CPU if all the power saving features are kept will drop the frequency every time certain temp or power limit is reached. I mean power features are very aggressive. So in order to avoid downclocking, you could disable one core, thus minimizing heat and power usage from second core, and keep that single core to feed GPU and for sanity checks. I personally keep 2 cores idle for GPUs, as core_21 WUs keep using a bit of CPU anyway. And knowing that your CPU is not great at folding, might as well leave it for GPU completely ;)
FAH Beta tester
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

@muziqaz: Checkpoint sanity checks got multithreaded with FahCore_21 0.0.17, so it should like both CPU cores running.
muziqaz

Post by muziqaz »

foldy wrote:@muziqaz: Checkpoint sanity checks got multithreaded with FahCore_21 0.0.17, so it should like both CPU cores running.
I think John reverted back to single thread, as multithread was erroring out ;)
FAH Beta tester
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Really? I thougt it was PME got reverted. John announced checks are now multithreaded.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=28442
muziqaz

Post by muziqaz »

foldy wrote:Really? I thougt it was PME got reverted. John announced checks are now multithreaded.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=28442
hm, yeah, it might be my mistake. probably I misread him in chat.

@JonasTheMovie, disregard my talk about disabling the core then, sorry ;)
FAH Beta tester