Dedicated rig High end GPU Low end CPU?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
JonasTheMovie

Re: Dedicated rig High end GPU Low end CPU?

Post by JonasTheMovie »

Well, either way it shows that you the CPU you actually get´s need to have some umph, and some cooling to. The termal mass of the stock cooler will cope with short bursts, but I still haven´t given up on watercooling the cpu...
JonasTheMovie

Post by JonasTheMovie »

Now I have recieved all parts, except for case and SSD, (also ordered the AiO WC).
Testing the setup ghettostyle with an old 3.5" HDD, Win10 and stock cooler.

20% into the first WU, Base 8000, TPF 103s, Proj 9201 and Core 0x17. The expected PPD is 67000, hopefully that will increase times 5.
GPU load jumps up and down around 75-80% and the core temp is only 47C. CPU load is a steady 30% and 20C.

Most annoying thing right now is the stock cooler that gives such irritating PWM noise at the low fan speed... Hopefully its the fan and not the board.

From what I see is the "low" PPD not a result of bottlenecking in the CPU, which was the topic of this thread. What do you think?
Last edited by JonasTheMovie on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Post by muziqaz »

p9201 is favourable to fury as far as I remember. I cannot verify it since I am not back home till late Friday, but if I am correct it should be around 400k PPD on fury x
FAH Beta tester
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

Did you enter your passkey?
muziqaz

Post by muziqaz »

Yeah, passkey is most likely the reason. CPU wouldn't even be able to bottle neck GPU so much ;)
FAH Beta tester
JonasTheMovie

Post by JonasTheMovie »

Yikes, I never thought that passkey gave such difference, thanks!

300-350k now then, perfect. The bonus is so much bigger than the base credit. Kind of makes me sad... but its nice to see that my rig performs ten times better than my macmini, nomatter points.
Last edited by JonasTheMovie on Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonasTheMovie

Post by JonasTheMovie »

Seems like I have the 9201 problem, no bonus points get registred, or was it 10 WU first?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

If this is the first WU that you submit with a passkey, this expected : you need to complete 10 WUs with a passkey to qualify it for bonus. (The client doesn't know if a passkey is qualified or not, so the only condition to for it to show bonus is that a passkey has been set)

Note that all projects with QRB (GPU and SMP) are taken into account for the 10 WUs condition.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
JonasTheMovie

Post by JonasTheMovie »

Ok, that is about one day of folding then. We´ll see what happens. The first 10 don´t get retro-bonusedified right?

Tomorrow Im going to pick the case and a SSD, cancelled the order for those two, hopefully they will accept that, otherwise its just a simple return when the stuff arrives.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

JonasTheMovie wrote: The first 10 don´t get retro-bonusedified right?
Correct.

I'm nominating "retro-bonusedified" as Word of the Month :).
JonasTheMovie

Post by JonasTheMovie »

Right now I am testing the system out on the bench ghetto style, with and old 3.5" drive. Installing a fresh start on the new SSD means a new 10 WU for the new instance?

Sorry for all my questions, but I am really impressed by the prompt and helpful responce.
muziqaz

Post by muziqaz »

JonasTheMovie wrote:Right now I am testing the system out on the bench ghetto style, with and old 3.5" drive. Installing a fresh start on the new SSD means a new 10 WU for the new instance?

Sorry for all my questions, but I am really impressed by the prompt and helpful responce.
no, if the system records 10 WUs, and you reinstall OS, and install fahclient and enter your passkey straight away, system will remember your last 10 WUs under that passkey and will start recording bonuses. But you must enter passkey 1st thing when you enter your configuration of fahclient before creating new slots ;)
FAH Beta tester
JonasTheMovie

Post by JonasTheMovie »

Ok, perfect!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Besides using the same passkey and entering it at the beginning, you also need to use the same username. What is made eligible for the QRB is a username and passkey pair. Each pairing needs to complete 10 WU's before becoming eligible, and that record is kept on the stats server - not your PC.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JonasTheMovie

Post by JonasTheMovie »

Ok, I will try.
Installing the new SSD now, I have put everything, except for the CPU AiO cooler, in the Elite 110 case. The Fury X is exhausting towards the front, removed the filter and covered all the holes of the front plate.
The tubes for the GPU cooling didnt need any modification at all, they do a loop out in the front and then back in. Plan is to remove the fan from the CPU AiO radiator and put it ontop of the PSU, letting the PSU draw air from the top grate through it, then exhausting in the back. The GPU rad fan draws air from the side covers and cools the rest of the box. We´ll see how it playes out.