Folding@home on Google Cloud? Free 60 day trial

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
3D_Now!!

Folding@home on Google Cloud? Free 60 day trial

Post by 3D_Now!! »

Hi all,

I wrote this post on the rosetta@home forum:

Does anyone know how easy it would be to get folding running on this platform (Ubuntu) using the free 60 day trial?

Also, it's freaking cool you can do this!

Matt
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Folding@home on Google Cloud? Free 60 day trial

Post by 7im »

See the equivalent Amazon Cloud post for relevant background.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
3D_Now!!

Post by 3D_Now!! »

I've read the following threads:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27220&p=272816&hilit=Amazon+cloud#p272816

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26620&p=267593&hilit=Amazon+cloud#p267593

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=26987&p=270993&hilit=Amazon+cloud#p270993

And none provide any detail other than the conclusion that AWS free is not very good for folding.

My post is concerned with highlighting that Google is offering free 60 days of high performance cloud compute. And also enquiring if anyone has experience of how to get folding@home in particular working on it.

If every donor utilised this resource it would provide a significant boost for the project.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Since I read your post, I signed up, created a 8 CPU Ubuntu 14.04 VM, and install the FAHClient via command line. CPU usage in the trial app shows 99.8% CPU usage.
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

I signed up for a t2.micro VM on AWS and it's pulling a whopping 1,531 PPD on a p9032.

Edit: Google 8 threads and low mem is getting 18k PPD on same WU.
3D_Now!!

Post by 3D_Now!! »

Great news 7im! I'm curious why you went for 14.04, as i thought that 15.10 was the same price in credits. But either way good work!

And thanks for the report mmonnin, 18k ppd is respectable for $0.00 cost. If even only the top 1000 donors did this (which to be in the top 1000 anyway requires more effort than it takes to set one of these up!) then that would be 18m ppd for a couple of months...tidy.
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

With the free credits from google and that server choice I will get like 5-6 weeks of compute time at 18-19k PPD. I turned in 4 WUs since I made the post above for 1.6k to 1.7k points each.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

3D_Now!! wrote: And none provide any detail other than the conclusion that AWS free is not very good for folding.
I think not very good for folding means you do not get fast GPUs in the cloud for free but only CPUs.
If they would offer a GPU e.g. similar to GTX 970 then that would be 250k PPD which is 15 times the CPU amount.
But for free why not take the CPUs ;-)
3D_Now!!

Post by 3D_Now!! »

I think the conclusion that most people drew with regards to the free Amazon service was that you only get spare capacity and this can fluctuate. Furthermore, most workunits passed their deadline before submission and so it was actually less beneficial to the project than not running them at all!

However the google one gives you more consistant and powerful CPU time and so as mmonnin mentioned, it completes a WU every couple of hours.

:)
bruce

Post by bruce »

3D_Now!! wrote:I think the conclusion that most people drew with regards to the free Amazon service was that you only get spare capacity and this can fluctuate. Furthermore, most workunits passed their deadline before submission and so it was actually less beneficial to the project than not running them at all!

However the google one gives you more consistant and powerful CPU time and so as mmonnin mentioned, it completes a WU every couple of hours
These cloud services are designed to make money (one way or another). When they're new, offering a free trial is a good way to find clients, many of whom will stay once the trial is over.

The other side of the coin is that a service with few clients is invariably very fast but the service can only maximize profits by increasing the load factor (and thereby slowing everybody down).

Enjoy it while it's free and fast. When it stops being fast, consider other alternatives. ("fast" means "fast enough for FAH to earn bonus points")
7im

Post by 7im »

Fine print says running Crypto Currency software is prohibited. Interesting to see how far a stretch it is to killing a VM running FAH?
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

I think Crypto Currency software is mentioned because you earn money with it. This is not the case with FAH.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

It is usually a matter of time before FAH and BOINC also get kicked out this kind of service ... :(

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
3D_Now!!

Post by 3D_Now!! »

I saw that crypto currency is banned, but that will be because you are using it for personal gain I guess.

I think that if a user wants to spend $$$ running a distributed computing program on a cloud service then I don't see why Google or Amazon or any other service would have a problem with this. You pay for what you use and this would be legit business for them. It doesn't make sense from a user perspective, it's cheaper in the long run to build and run a local system for this sort of thing. But for a free short term thing....winning :)
7im

Post by 7im »

Kicked from the free trial, not as a paying customer.