Low PPD on some WUs

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Bryman

Re: Low PPD on some WUs

Post by Bryman »

So.. I took the video card apart and I have no idea how to strap the case fan on

http://i.imgur.com/cOvoCav.jpg http://i.imgur.com/4T32rXr.jpg

These were the fans that weren't working http://i.imgur.com/BK4e1rn.jpg

The stock fans kept going really low https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iqs0Eq2fog

I could stop the one fan that was working and that would sometimes get the fans to go 100%... but... it just wouldn't stay at 100%... and I don't know exactly how to strap on the case fan

So I think I'll just keep using the 7850... if I overclock it by about 25% (as much as I can) then it's not a whole lot slower than the 7970

I get about 90,000 PPD with the 7850 while I get about 160,000 PPD on the 7970 (with some WU)

So not too bad... it'll work for a month or two until the new ones come out

And games don't lag that much
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

Wait... I think I figured out how to do it

You only have to line up one screw with the fan... and it's going to need to hang off a side anyway...

Uh.. I'm actually still confused...

I guess I could... use... duct tape? or something
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

So.. I got it working... but then the fan wasn't secure enough and came off...

https://youtu.be/V1n7b1EHQqM

But it worked well while it was on
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

So it's not super efficient... Temp is about 70°C with the noise of about 60% fan speed while it would only take about 50% fan speed for that temp... but not too bad... it'll work

And I can always turn the fan speed down

Now... I have the fan blowing air out of the video card... is that the best way to have it?

I turned the fan speed all the way down and it went from the noise of about 60% fan speed to the noise of about 40% fan speed and it's only about 10°C hotter... so it's about 80°C

Not bad...

It's only about 5°C hotter and not that much louder than 40% fan speed was on my video card

So.. my motherboard is reporting 55°C with the side of the case off... I guess that's still okay

The air coming out of the video card is really hot.. I guess it does say the video card is 85°C

Also... I'm not sure I applied the thermal paste on correctly... I'm always terrible with that stuff... but it seems to be working okay

A thermometer is saying the air coming out of the video card is about 53°C...

http://i.imgur.com/iZMbu9D.jpg

Temps are okay at least... it's 85°C with folding@home... I would either need to turn the fan speed up or underclock the video card if I wanted to game

900mhz 1.025 volts temp is under 80°C with games

950mhz 1.07 volts temp is 80-88°C with folding@home

Factory clocks are 950mhz 1.175 volts

So not too bad...

I just ran OCCT (along with folding@home so the video card wouldn't throttle) and the VRM temp went from 100 to 135 and shut my video card off in only about 30 seconds while the core temp only went from 80 to 95...

Then I accidentally left it at 1.3 volts and my screen went blank all of a sudden and I'm like "oops"... core temp hit 104

I'm making great use of the video card's shut-off safety feature
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

The tape may peel off with the heat, you should use this instead :

Also, your fan is blowing on the GPU, but make sure to have enough airflow on the right of the card, where the PCIe plugs are : this is where the VRMs are located, and they also need proper cooling. You might want to add another fan there.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

Eh, VRM temp is okay

It's actually cooler with the one fan I put on versus only one of the fans running on the stock fans

It's about 85 degrees core temp 95 VRM temp versus 80 degrees core 98 VRM temp

PERFECTLY safe temperatures... the video card doesn't start throttling until the VRM temp hits 110 and doesn't shut off the video card until 135

Now when you pull more current through the card is when you have to start worrying...

When my video card was using 325-350 watts, the VRM went from 100 to 135 in about 30 seconds

And if I just run OCCT and my video card uses 400-420 watts, the VRM temp would go from 100 to 135 in about 20 seconds.. but my video card throttles at 110 if I don't run folding@home

AND WOW.. my video card has shut itself off 4 times in about 30 minutes to protect itself

One time because the VRM temp hit 135 and 3 times because the core temp hit 104

I keep leaving the core voltage at 1.3 accidentally and I don't have the fans connected to the video card and folding@home disables throttling so it shuts my video card off within seconds to minutes

Also I feel the air coming out of my GPU... it's making my motherboard report about 10°C hotter than when I had the stock fans on...

Everything is still safe temps I think, at least
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

*sigh* the fan fell off so I put it back on and now temps are 10° warmer than they were before... I'm getting 93 running folding@home instead of 83...

I guess that's still okay... but they could be much better

If I run 860mhz 1 volt on games temps are well below 80 and I think it's stable

I wish I could underclock on folding@home... but oh well

I got my video card down to 720mhz .900 volts... was about 65°C... but that's just too much of a decrease... and there's really no point in turning it down that much
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

I put the fan back on and gave it gaps so it could breath and just layered a bunch of tape on top of each other in several places and the temps have dropped about 6°C

I was gaming and all of a sudden my game started lagging really bad so I checked my video card temps and they were 101 so I checked the video card fan and it had fallen off..

So I put it back on and now it's significantly cooler than it was before :)

Also

Core temp 86 VRM temp 92

With only one stock fan running core temp 80 VRM temp 98

So yeah, much better... even with only one one fan running

GAAAAAAH, my fan just fell again... temps are sky rocketing

So I flipped the fan so air is blowing into the video card instead of out.. I think it dropped core temps about 10 degrees and my motherboard over 15 degrees

This is really really good.. core temp is 77 and VRM temp is 90... before core temp was 90 and VRM temp was about 95

And my motherboard is 33°C instead of 50°C

So blowing air into the video card is the way to go, I guess

It's funny.. VRM temp 2 is 3 degrees warmer than VRM temp 1... if I run a stress test VRM temp 1 will be 20-30 degrees warmer than VRM temp 2
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

I've twist-tied a case fan onto a GPU heatsink in years past to 'replace' a dead fan. Do what you have to do to keep temps down.
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

mmonnin wrote:I've twist-tied a case fan onto a GPU heatsink in years past to 'replace' a dead fan. Do what you have to do to keep temps down.
I might do that if the tape doesn't hold... but for now it's good

Temps are pretty good... and noise is almost completely silent
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

*sigh* I'm still getting about a 20,000 drop in PPD if I have cpu folding enabled with 6 threads and gpu folding going versus just gpu folding going... I actually get more PPD by disabling cpu folding

Well... if my computer is completely idle I think it's only about a 10,000 drop... but if I'm just browsing the web then it can be 20,000-30,000

If I browse the web with cpu folding disabled then there's practically no drop at all

Ughhhhh, these stupid 13000 projects...

Me browsing the web with a 13000 project
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Some projects require two free CPU threads to work at full capacity ... but it's always a bit better when nothing interferes ...

Bryman

Post by Bryman »

Well.... 90% is better than 25%... I think I'll keep it at 6 threads for the CPU folding
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

At least, you can contribute with the GPU now :)

Did you figure a stronger way to secure your fan that would be more reliable over time ?

Bryman

Post by Bryman »

Still just tape.. but I think the fan is hitting against the heatsink... it's kind of making a clicking noise

Could be the pump of the H80i... but I put my ear right next to it and I think there's a clicking coming from the fan

Might need to reposition it

It's 28°C in the room right now... I need to turn the air conditioning on..

Chocolate starts melting at about 29°C I've figured out

This chocolate says to store at 60-68°F... do they really expect people to keep it that cold lmao

Really as long as you keep it below 80 you're fine... I don't know why they list such a low amount on this box...

Oh god.. it's really squishy right now.. I had the room at 83 degrees