Found a usb stick thats a cpu

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Green

Found a usb stick thats a cpu

Post by Green »

http://www.intel.com/buy/us/en/product/ ... tech_specs

looks like it acts as a processor in itself, with operating system and all. correct me if im wrong, but this seems like it would work on FAH.
Very Respectfully
Ben D.C. Bruner
ChristianVirtual

Re: Found a usb stick thats a cpu

Post by ChristianVirtual »

point wise I would not expect much from it; seems a 4 Core-1.4GHz Atom.

But actually what would worry me more is the heat. My company once tried "Windows-To-Go"-USB Sticks with Windows 8; those got really HOT and failed quite quick.

If you want to use FAHControl on it that sure could work well.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

Yeah, no reason why not - I thought about getting an 8 way HDMI switch with a row of these connected, but not really worth it given where cpu folding is with respect to even budget GPUs.

I've got similar 'net-top' systems running BOINC with these low power quad core atom processors and they are surprisingly potent for what are basically phone/tablet SoCs, but sometimes need a bit of help with cooling to maintain their boost frequencies and performance. I'd imagine the 'stick' format would be even more susceptible to throttling and need a bit of air being forced over them.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I'm not sure that's an USB key ... it looks more like a HDMI key, like a Chromecast ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Green

Post by Green »

Yea, my bad, it definately is a hdmi. the 99 dollar one, or cheapest one with windows has the same cpu as the 150 dollar one. The linux one is like 80 bucks. Besides that, definately could help if your looking at saving electricity versus every other option on the market. One question I would like answered, as I could be as wrong as when I thought MSI helps write code for distributed computing projects. But my number one question would be is there a major difference between the amount of time spent reading CPU and GPU results as in on the folding @ home side? I thought I read this at a certain time, but honestly if their isnt a difference it would alter my perception on FAH. thanks.
Very Respectfully
Ben D.C. Bruner
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

I didn't understand your question, but think I can answer it just the same. The Folding CPU client is 15+ years old. It is about as efficient as it can get, with the exception of adding AVX support, which is in development. And FAH had the very first Distributed Computing GPU client, and is well experienced there also. Sorry, we don't do a lot of comparisons to other DC projects. The volunteers here focus primarily on helping FAH donors.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Green

Post by Green »

Thats not exactly it, What I was getting at is this,

Is there a difference in the time spent on the Stanford side reading already finished work unites. As in difference between cpu and gpu completed work units on Stanfords end at all. Hell, I would be interested in even a difference in time it takes to compile them at all.
Very Respectfully
Ben D.C. Bruner
bruce

Post by bruce »

Green wrote:http://www.intel.com/buy/us/en/product/ ... tech_specs

looks like it acts as a processor in itself, with operating system and all. correct me if im wrong, but this seems like it would work on FAH.
It looks like it's a complete system.

The question about whether it would work on FAH is a good one, and the heat question is important, but the Atom series of CPUs are typically used in laptops so they're a low power-low performance choice. I can't find anything in the specs mentioning SSE or even FLOPs, which are essential to FAH.

Sony's Android client might be adaptable to it but i doubt that it can compete favorably with, say, an i5.

The price is nice, but I'm not quite sure how I'd use one.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Since meaningful results takes months and sometimes years to collect and then process the completed work units, I'm not sure it really matters if a completed work unit sits for a few hours or a few days before it gets combined and studied. But it doesn't sit unstudied until all the work units are completed in that particular project number. Help us understand what prompted the question or how it affects your folding choices.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.