GTX960 + GTX285

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: GTX960 + GTX285

Post by foldy »

As noise is not a problem for you then with 2 GPUs the temps will stay the same because fans will just go faster. No need to replace the raidmax but maybe you can add one at another place.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

THANKS! Foldy
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Ricorocks wrote:Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM 109cfm. Is now the top dog in the hunt
Not quite, try a scythe ultra kaze 3000 - DFS123812H-3000, 133cfm! I've got a couple of its slower brothers and they do move a lot of air.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Hi Guys,

Just put the box together & back online:

Observations:

It has 2 120mm Fans bottom front, top rear. Tested both operational Raidmax

The PSU's fan blows directly onto, the huge coolermaster V8 cpu cooler. Seems like poor design, blowing hot air onto something removing heat.

Next shined a light through the fan blades (right side of case, metal) a ton of metal (with holes), i can see light from looking in the case, cages for cd/dvd, thing you put camera cards & other, most likely very minimal help cooling. More experimenting.

Next the GTX 960, just about touches hdd 1/4" max clearance. I'm sure the soundblaster, would need to come out, to use PCIe 3, the rack that holds hdd, has 3 positions, currently middle, the spaghetti monster, is going to make a very tight fit.

Next both Raidmax fans, do not have a plug at the end, both fans two wires red/blk, appear in a 4pin plug taking up yellow & brn on the plug, both plug (front fan & rear fan) connectors appear to be a "Y" with 2 spare plugs. Not sure how those fan wires are attached in the plug.

Next I figured out how to attach a 120 mm fan, outside the case (plexiglass side), this is designed, for a 80mm fan to exhaust, however the cpu cooler leaves only an 1" space (btwn plexiglass & cpu cooler, so mounting the fan on the outside, was accomplished today. Even the new top fan, plexiglass side seems marginal at best

69 42 71C cpu,mb,gpu

On top of the case in the middle btwn PSU & front cages, another 120mm fan might fit, that would be cutting metal hole. Outside my comfort zone.

Conclusion:

At my current & consistent temps. I'm not sure new fans would be of benefit. If so need to figure out how those two wires are in that plug & would you match CFM's for front & rear?

I did spend some time looking for alternatives, used gaming rigs, & new very cheap.
PS3EdOlkkola
Hardware configuration: 10 SMP folding slots on Intel Phi "Knights Landing" system, configured as 24 CPUs/slot
9 AMD GPU folding slots
31 Nvidia GPU folding slots
50 total folding slots
Average PPD/slot = 459,500

Post by PS3EdOlkkola »

If noise is truly not an issue, and you want a fan that blows so much air it can literally levitate itself, go for the 1ST PC CORP. PFB1212UHE-F00, at 5500 RPM it pushes 252 CFM. Delta also has similar models. Back in 2013 when I was running three GTX 690s in one rig (6 total GPUs), I had a pair of these fans blowing into the case. I hooked them up to a fan controller thinking that would moderate the noise with less airflow, but the fan controller burned out very quickly - these are high amperage fans. The noise was truly deafening, but they did the job amazingly well. Strongly suggest installing a fan grill guard -- these babies are dangerous and they'll easily cut you pretty badly if you accidentally get a finger in the blades at speed. You can probably figure out how I know that....
Last edited by PS3EdOlkkola on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware config viewtopic.php?f=66&t=17997&p=277235#p277235
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Hi Ed, I found that one & mentioned on pg 1, Right now cpu,mb,gpu 68, 42, 68. F@H must be transitioning or something normal 69-71, 43, 71-72. The consensus was these numbers are ok. To get to a more acceptable range not sure how many CFM's I need. Not many fans are greater than >80cfm. Noctua with it's great rep. & 109, seemed good. I ran across Nathan's mention, reliability & noise Noctua, scythe has 24cfm more though. I don't know if 24cfm more is just a little more or allot more.

Why I'm hesitant to place an order is the wiring & the plug, each Raidmax has two wires red/blk, stuffed into a 4 pin plug (((HOW))) 4pin plug left to right red,blk,brn,yel Raidmax red goes to yel, & next to it (seems brn) gets the blk fan wire. OK yellow/black on the plug each have two wires in one hole (Fan & something else). Not known is how to plug the fan in. The online shopping I don't remember seeing, plug config. Also this is a 'Y' with a plug empty. So if scythe or noctua, can plug into a 4 pin, I'd just cut & tape the bitter end of the wire leading to the former raidmax.

You guys are probably nudging to new beefier fans, then it's a plug problem! Couple of days I'll join the millionaires club tp (tp total points)

Also fitting a 1060 is a problem, any drawbacks to the shorter half cards? I still think the I'd have to remove the sound card, that's ok, it's not hooked up to spkrs. Also that sound card, blocks, front fans cool air from getting to CPU, with it's height, acts as a wall.

Now this one avoids the spaghetti monster, (sound card gone), just a matter of freeing two six pin plugs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

See this power connection red/yel/blk http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185054 , how to mate with the plug? Cut end (fan) strip & jam into the current plug (does color matter) yellow goes to yellow, or would is it one fanwire per hole?

Thanks Guys
PS3EdOlkkola
Hardware configuration: 10 SMP folding slots on Intel Phi "Knights Landing" system, configured as 24 CPUs/slot
9 AMD GPU folding slots
31 Nvidia GPU folding slots
50 total folding slots
Average PPD/slot = 459,500

Post by PS3EdOlkkola »

If the temps are running 68, 42, 68 for CPU, MB, GPU, those are actually pretty good, and I agree they're within range. It's just my preference, but I try to keep my CPUs in the range of 50 to 60, but your numbers are certainly ok.

The fan you linked to is a standard 3-pin fan. If your motherboard has a connection for a 3 or 4 pin fan, the male connector on the motherboard and the female connector on the fan header are keyed so they plug into each other the right way. If you only have one 3 or 4 pin connector and your adding the fan to the existing fans, then you can get a Y cable like this one and connect two fans to a single motherboard fan header http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

If the motherboard doesn't have any fan headers, then you can use a molex connector to the 3 pin fan connector, and plug the molex connector into a free connector from your power supply. This part would do the trick, and the connector is keyed on both ends so it plugs in correctly.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Sounds like removing the sound card (ha!) is your best option to free up space and allow more air to get directly to the CPU. You might try removing the sound card without installing anything else in the case to see what it does to temps.

I don't have experience with shorter half-cards like the one you linked to.
Hardware config viewtopic.php?f=66&t=17997&p=277235#p277235