Is anybody using AMD Dual Graphics or Intel's equivalent?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
bruce

Is anybody using AMD Dual Graphics or Intel's equivalent?

Post by bruce »

In the past, I've tried to enable an iGPU to run my monitor while folding with discrete GPUs. I have not been successful.

AMD's APUs advertise "Dual graphics" which interconnects the two graphics devices with a Crossfire-like connection to get better graphics performance. That won't help FAH, but apparently both devices can be enabled simultaneously, which (hopefully) means the desktop can use the iGPU while FAH is using the supported GPU (at least that's my theory.)

In WIn7, I could disable accelerated processing, which means desktop rendering was done by the CPU without needing to interrupt FAH's using of the GPU. This minimized screen lag. In Win10, you can't do that ... and they've moved additional desktop rendering services to the GPU, so I'm seeing a significant lag where I previously had nothing noticeable.

In my experience, Intel disables their iGPU when they find a discrete GPU, so I can't move my monitor to the MB. I plan to try it with the AMD's APU.

I couldn't find any useful information on-line, so I'm hoping that some of you have more knowledge that I do.
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Re: Is anybody using AMD Dual Graphics or Intel's equivalent

Post by rwh202 »

I have attempted this in linux and didn't get all the way there (got both GPUs working, but couldn't install nvidia drivers whilst keeping the linux drivers for the intel).
To get there, there was a critical BIOS setting called "primary graphics device". This needs to be set to 'integrated' or equivalent - the setting included a description that stated that any other setting would disable the iGPU if a discrete GPU was present.
I was hoping to do the same on a windows box to get around the lag, but took the cheat's route and just put in a low profile passive gt 730 for display duties, leaving the primary card for folding.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Hi Bruce, the decision which GPU is main or first should be selectable in BIOS. There should be something like GPU pcie first or internal first and last one enables iGPU.

To disable gpu desktop rendering in Win10 I found 3 proposals but I don't know if any of them really works and helps your problem:

1) Using app compatibility settings, so FahClient.exe would run with Windows XP settings
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... progeneral
2) Force disable DWM using registry for FahClient.exe:
Morten Aasheim's answer:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... oappcompat
3) Close DWM by force:
http://superuser.com/questions/581673/d ... 8-force-it
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

I use Virtu D-Mode (discrete GPU primary) in my Intel+AMD GPU rigs. When I started several years ago, I looked at performance, and found a slight increase in Folding performance. I can't perceive any difference in real-time operation, though.

I also found that to successfully update the integrated GPU drivers, that GPU must be [temporarily] set to primary, and a monitor attached to it so I can work with it. Reset to desired configuration when done. Hence, I haven't updated those drivers often...
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]