How many reads/writes to the SSD?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Keff

How many reads/writes to the SSD?

Post by Keff »

I know I'm not supposed to defrag an SSD; it can shorten its life. How much does the FAH use the SSD? Quite a few years ago, I ran FAH on a laptop at work, and the disk drive seemed to be getting a lot of action.

Also, what temperature is high enough to shorten the life of an SSD?

Cheers,

Keff
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: How many reads/writes to the SSD?

Post by 7im »

Hello Keff, welcome to the Folding Support Forum.

As long as the Operating System is newer, SSD will run just fine. (OS should support the trim function. Google it for more info) The computer will be considered obsolete before FAH ends the life of your SSD.

1000 degrees, F or C, is high enough to shorten the life of an SSD. Sorry, you asked kind of an open-ended question.

Maybe you were looking for what temps are safe for your SSD? (Google that one too. I couldn't even guess without knowing the SSD brand and model. ;)) For reference, a lot of laptops come with SSDs, and their cooling is far less than most tower cases. You're probably safe.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

I'm running since 3 years from an Intel SSD (128 GB) with Linux as OS nearly 24/7. No stability issues.

Beside the folding software itself there are many more factors relevant for the "stress" of the SSD. Like how much memory you have in your system and if not enough how much swapping the OS has to perform. Difficult to say without knowing more about your system.

One mitigation could be to increase the main RAM in you system and run from an RAM disk. That would reduce the load on Disks and SSD.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

The action folding@home does on disk can easily be handled by an SSD because it is 100 times faster compared to a HDD for these small read write operations FAHClient does. An SSD can handle much higher temperatures than HDDs, so 45°C is a good temperature and maybe 70° the limit.
Then there is a max amount you can write to the SSD garanteed e.g. 100 TeraByte.
This means if you write a high amount of 10 GB per day, which Folding@home does not, then your SSD lasts 150TB/10GB/365days = 40 years !
You can see the specs at manufacturer site e.g.
http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/mem ... -750500bw/
No need for a RAM disk :-)
FAMAS

Post by FAMAS »

foldy wrote:The action folding@home does on disk can easily be handled by an SSD because it is 100 times faster compared to a HDD for these small read write operations FAHClient does. An SSD can handle much higher temperatures than HDDs, so 45°C is a good temperature and maybe 70° the limit.
Then there is a max amount you can write to the SSD garanteed e.g. 100 TeraByte.
This means if you write a high amount of 10 GB per day, which Folding@home does not, then your SSD lasts 150TB/10GB/365days = 40 years !
You can see the specs at manufacturer site e.g.
http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/mem ... -750500bw/
No need for a RAM disk :-)
but to reduce even that amount of read write, i set folding@home to run on a ramdrive. on a different topic, what software do the person who uses ramdrives in this thread, use to create a ramdrive?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

FAMAS wrote:on a different topic, what software do the person who uses ramdrives in this thread, use to create a ramdrive?
A different topic should probably be posted to a new and different topic, instead of hijacking this topic.

Or just google it, because the HOW depends on what Operating System you have. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+a+ramdrive
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

I would NOT put F@H data on a RAMDrive, because it also writes nonvolatile data (core files, logs, checkpoints) to the data folder. If you shut down the computer, you have to start from scratch, even if a WU was 99% complete.

I also have been using the same SSD for 3+ years, Folding 24/7. It still works fine.
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
Keff

Post by Keff »

Thanks for all the replies. I have 12GB of RAM, so perhaps that's why SSD use is so low.