P4@2.8 plus GTX960/ATI380, will it fold?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
antropofob

Re: P4@2.8 plus GTX960/ATI380, will it fold?

Post by antropofob »

bruce wrote:Are you sure the PCIe slot is actually running at x16 or is it split with some other device?
No, the only thing connected to the motherboard is wifi card and most of the time its idle.
Anyway, sorry for making waves, the issue is resolved now by installing xubuntu.
All if fine and well in unixland, no more waves, gpu usage is hovering above 90%.
It just took a lot of googling.
BTW, xorg-edgers no longer host nvidia drivers, and graphics-drivers ppa now includes opencl and libcuda.
I just added the ppa and the latest driver popped up in "additional drivers".
I had most problems with configuring gpu slot.
Had to add supportedgpus.txt manually.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Yes, there is kind of a crappy catch-22. You won't know if the drivers are working until you install the FAH client, and if not, the FAH client doesn't see a supported GPU, so it doesn't download an updated GPUs.txt file. AND, it also sets the variable GPU=False, so that it never tries to update again.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
antropofob

Post by antropofob »

7im wrote:Yes, there is kind of a crappy catch-22. You won't know if the drivers are working until you install the FAH client, and if not, the FAH client doesn't see a supported GPU, so it doesn't download an updated GPUs.txt file. AND, it also sets the variable GPU=False, so that it never tries to update again.
Plus the issue with python when installing FAHControl on newest Ubuntu/Mint. But at least no more .run files fiddling.
I really think that the Linux install guide should be updated because in current state it requires a lot of googling.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

antropofob wrote: BTW, xorg-edgers no longer host nvidia drivers, and graphics-drivers ppa now includes opencl and libcuda.
OK, just tried it. OpenCL and CUDA were removed when I selected 370 in Additional Drivers.
What packages are needed to re-install OpenCL so my GPU can fold again?
antropofob

Post by antropofob »

davidcoton wrote:
antropofob wrote: BTW, xorg-edgers no longer host nvidia drivers, and graphics-drivers ppa now includes opencl and libcuda.
OK, just tried it. OpenCL and CUDA were removed when I selected 370 in Additional Drivers.
What packages are needed to re-install OpenCL so my GPU can fold again?
Strange, I did a clean Install yesterday, and by following above mentioned procedure got both cuda and opencl.
Look at package details, they list both cuda/opencl:

Code: Select all

Built packages

libcuda1-370 NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
nvidia-370 NVIDIA binary driver - version 370.28
nvidia-370-dev NVIDIA binary Xorg driver development files
nvidia-libopencl1-370 NVIDIA OpenCL Driver and ICD Loader library
nvidia-opencl-icd-370 NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
Are you sure they did not get installed, or are you simply not able to use GPU slot?
I had to change opencl/cuda inexes to match the index of GPU slot to be able to fold.
You can also try going to https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers ... /+packages and download libcuda/libopencl separately.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

All those packages are installed. CUDA is detected, GPU is detected, OpenCL is not found. Tried 370 and 364. Tried reinstalling FAH. Next is a full reinstall of Ubuntu 16.04.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

The driver installer usually has some text like this that one should heed, where 367 is whatever driver version you installed.

Recommended packages:
libcuda1-367 nvidia-opencl-icd-367
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

Well, I ended up reinstalling Ubuntu from scratch (15.10 then upgrade to 16.04 -- don't ask why) then fighting the missing packages, GPUs.txt (so that issue isn't fixed in 7.4.15), and GPU slot configuration (manual setting needed even with just one GPU). Plus a corrupt config.xml. Wasted about 6 hours just to update (probably unnecessarily) to the latest GPU driver. :(
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

davidcoton wrote:Well, I ended up reinstalling Ubuntu from scratch (15.10 then upgrade to 16.04 -- don't ask why) then fighting the missing packages, GPUs.txt (so that issue isn't fixed in 7.4.15), and GPU slot configuration (manual setting needed even with just one GPU). Plus a corrupt config.xml. Wasted about 6 hours just to update (probably unnecessarily) to the latest GPU driver. :(
If its a simple folding rig why not keep it on 14.04 - no dependency issues then. Or does the new version of the client require 16.04?
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

Can't remember why I moved from 14.04, it was long ago. Been on 16.04LTS since its release and I intend to stay there. It was driver packages that caused the issue, not the Python one, which doesn't affect upgrades. Not sure if 7.4.15 cures the Python one, I missed the opportunity to test it.

It may actually have been the GPU indices all along, it appears that OpenCL is not recognised until the indices are right. Recognising CUDA only required the correct package.
The chain of events was something like:
Upgrade driver, it did not install OpenCL. Broke current GPU processing, wasted a WU or three.
Reboot. GPU slot removed by reboot? Installed missing driver parts. GPU and CUDA detected but not OpenCL
Should have tried setting indices when reinstalling slot -- panicked and reinstalled Ubuntu.
Installed CUDA and OpenCL
Dealt with corrupted config.xml that prevented client connection to FAHControl
Reboot. GPU not recognised, no GPU.txt. Had to copy it from another PC.
Reboot. Reinstalled GPU slot, set indices, normal operation restored.

I don't want another session like that any time soon.
Install slot, set indices