GPU not starting

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: GPU not starting

Post by Joe_H »

For the present, 32-bit Windows is still supported. But its limits on memory that can be assigned to a single process does place limits on the size of simulations that can be run. For now I would recommend waiting to see what information Bruce gets back from PG.

But looking towards the future, the Release Notes for the public beta of the client does include the following statement:
New 64-bit Windows Client
We now have a 64-bit Windows client. The 32-bit client will eventually be deprecated. It is highly recommended that if you are installing the new 64-bit Windows client that you manually uninstall the 32-bit client first.
So eventually a 64-bit OS may be required. No idea on when exactly, but the first notice has been made.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Ricorocks wrote:How do you update a 32bit machine to a 64bit OS.
Your CPU must support 64bit. The Windows product key can be used for 32bit and 64bit version. So first you need to get the key out of the running 32bit system. Then you need to reinstall Windows in a matching 64bit version. e.g. if you have Windows 7 Home 32bit then you need to install Windows 7 Home 64bit. The Windows 64bit install dvd can be downloaded from Microsoft if you do not have one.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Ricorocks wrote:Well if I had my choice, I'd leave it like it is 32bit machine, 32 bit OS. How do you update a 32bit machine to a 64bit OS. Am I the only GTX750 Ti, using a 32 bit OS, is it possible for the future release of the client, to address the issue.

IF the decision/discussion becomes finalized 64bit OS for the GTX750 Ti, or 'non available WU's for 32bit OS, can you, let us/me know, I would only switch to protect my folding GTX 750 Ti investment. I want this to fold 24/7 reliably.

Thanks
As Joe has said, 32-bit windows is still supported but as projects grow loarger and largen, some cannot be completed without access to 64-bit memory. (The deserialization process run during the WU setup may require more than 2GB of addressable memory which is the limit for 32-bit processes. This is not an issue that' can be addressed by installing a new client.

In fact, some projects for Core_21 are available for 32-bit windows. Many projects have an assignment restriction requiring a 64-bit operating system. This means that: Yes, you can continue to run on 32-bit windows, but you may find times when the only projects available for assignment to your GPU have no more WUs to assign although there are plenty of WUs which could be assigned to a 64-bit OS.

This is not just a Windows issue. Donors who run LInux run into the same issue. In fact, at one time, only 64-big Linux was supported. Some projects are small enough that they can run on 32-bit Linux so support was added, but WU availability is much more limited.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Okay! So it seems, just installing , the 64 bit OS, does not solve the whole problem. So I guess, in the future, i get more frequently "failed to get assignment, time to retire the machine in favor of 64 bit.
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

edit: ignore my 1st comment, for some reason I went dumb and was thinking it was a 32bit CPU. :oops:
Last edited by ComputerGenie on Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Got it!

On another machine 64 bit, with 2 GPU's 1060 & 960. Just making sure I understand correctly! Occasionally twice today the 1060 becomes idle (yellow circle), reboot usually turns it green. This is a known issue & MAY be fixed with a future release of the client?
bruce

Post by bruce »

The GPU circle will always turn yellow briefly when a Wu finishes and a new one is downloading.

If the new WU cannot be downloaded readily, it will stay yellow longer and often we can diagnose the issue, decide if it's something you can change or something that FAH might be able to change (as it was in this particular case) but it takes quite a bit of data gathering and the result may be that it can't be fixed (or maybe it can't be fixed quickly).