Advise on new machine

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Ricorocks

Advise on new machine

Post by Ricorocks »

I cleaned up & old Toshiba laptop given to me (nice machine) & traded it for a Lenovio K320, i7 2.8Ghz, 8Gb ram, GTX330, 280W psu.

1. Replacement AcBel PSU 280W damn they want nearly $200.00 crazy. I measured it 5 7/8" X 3 1/2" X 5 3/4"... Because this will become a dedicated folder, should I look for a two fan replacement with similar dimensions, note some have a 120mm fan, inside, presume blowing air out the rear, this on surface seems good, as it would suck some of the heat, out the PSU. If wrong, on which way those internal 120mm fans blow, vice a versa. Count the pins on the new & old. Flys in the ointment?

2. It looks like the case fan, just one rear, no front is a 92mm. The rear fan just has rubber protrusions, going through the 4 holes to secure. Not sure I could install a front fan, would need to be jury rigged. Planning on a EVGA GTX1070

3. Specs say's slot 1 half length, full height PCIe express 2.0 x 16 ver. 2.0. The actual slot is 'black' I was thinking it was AGP, not correct. Half length? Sorry silly just measure the card in it now, 1070 half cards 10.5" :oops:

4. Lenovo seems to be proprietary MB, & says no BIOS upgrade required. How big of a deal is this machine built in 2008, for the 1070? Speccy say's the MB is Lenovo, if the card does not work, BIOS, anyway around?

Cleaned the machine lots of malware, updated 100's WU's (windows updates), junk files 28Gb.

Thanks Guys my only experience with hardware, is from my recent Folding experience, any help greatly appreciated. One case fan 92mm & 1070 is perhaps biggest concern

Merry Christmas
Rico
ComputerGenie

Re: Advise on new machine

Post by ComputerGenie »

From the pictures I've seen of that rig, a 1070 "should" fit (given the slots are below the drive bays).
That being said, if you're truly making it a dedicated miner/folder, I'd offer 2 suggestions:
1) Do the fan mod or lay it down and leave the top (formerly left side) open
2) Forget about the work you've already done to clean it up and do a total clean install of your 64bit Win7
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

1) One disadvantage of an open case is that dust is not your friend so I would leave it closed.
2) No need for a clean install if you get rid of malware :-)
3) If the length of GPU is only limited by the drive bays then its time for DIY, you just saw a little until it fits ;-)
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

foldy wrote:...
2) No need for a clean install if you get rid of malware :-)
That's not wholly true, if the intent is a pure mining rig. The amount of bloatware, services, etc that runs in the background on a pre-installed system vs clean install "could" make a significant difference in any CPU pickup. IMO, the entire point of a dedicated rig is to get the most out of it that you can. ;)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Technically, I think you mean GT 330, not GTX 330. (NVIDIA ended driver support for the GeForce 300 series last April, so if you plan to use it, don't try to upgrade the drivers.)

Finding a more modern GPU is a good plan unless you can figure out how to configure both a fast and an entry-level GPU.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Hi Guys!

1. Is CUDA a good measure for FAH folding, higher equals better? They seem to call at NVIDIA Cuda = pixel piplines.

2. Only room for 1/2 length card, which is single fan. Looking to get EVGA

the 1060 is length 6.8" or 172.72 mm, this is too long & will hit memory 'tab' + it's too wide at that length 1060 = 1152cuda

the 1050 is length 5.7" or 145 mm. not too long, or too fat 1050 Ti = 768 cuda

the 1050 Ti uses 75W. Recommended, PSU = 300W. The PSU in the box is 280W (the machine will just fold 24/7 max, no monitor, no other functions)
_______

I'm very good at removing malware, & I'm 99.99999999999999999999999% sure, it's clean. Most all apps gone, using Revo (amazing how much is left behind, by the app's uninstaller), gone browser add ons, actually the reason for cleaning instead of clean install, is/was, the arduous task, of, those other WU's (window updates).

The replacement 280W PSU is $200, seems 'proprietary' hence the cost, + coming from China, & not a stocked item locally. If 280W won't run the 1050Ti, which needs 75W. The big connector on the (psu to mb) counted 24 holes where, wires could go, so is this 24pin & is that & odd size? PSU current is: 5.5 x 3.5 x 6"

I believe the MB is proprietary as well 3rd party tools id it as "Lenovo", they say no BIOS updates for the machine, however it's from 2008. Might have to figure out, who, what & where for 3rd party bios update.

Thanks Guys
bruce

Post by bruce »

There are various terms for the degree of parallelism that a given GPU can support, and "CUDA Pipelies" is one such term. A "shader" is a more generic term.

Although it's not a precise measurement, the best way to compare the speed of various GPUs is to consider the product of Num_of_shaders*shader_GHZ. Memory size/speed numbers are MUCH less important for FAH.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Shaders does not come up on many sites, but cuda does. I did notice cuda stays the same, in the 4 or so diff GPU's in the same family.

Thanks Amigo
foldy
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz

Post by foldy »

What about this one gtx 1070 half length?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Why do you need a replacement PSU? Can't you buy a cheaper standard PSU instead?
bruce

Post by bruce »

I had to look several places before I found the K320. I think it would work fine with the GPU foldy found. You only have one 16x slot.
Ricorocks

BIOS Update

Post by Ricorocks »

This Lenovo K320, I'm planning on installing the GTX1070, how critical is a BIOS update, for the new GTX1070. The date for is 6/8/2010

Lenovo has 0 BIOS updates & says it's not required, the Bios update
_________

If necessary found the following:

Looking to update the BIOS, to install new GPU:

Lenovo K320 'Lenovo has no available updates. My BIOS date is 06/08/2010, 5LKT42A

Lenovo support gave MB pt # 11011072 mfg Foxconn, also the tag on the MB 00111011504, I also found on MB 90FBA69C9435

CPUID: i7-860, 2.8Ghz, socket 1156 LGA, 45nm, Lynnfield,

CPUID from BIOS: 106e5

Thanks
JimboPalmer

Re: BIOS Update

Post by JimboPalmer »

If Lenovo does not offer a BIOS update, no one does. Why would you think you needed one?

All the best!
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Ricorocks

Re: BIOS Update

Post by Ricorocks »

Hi Jimbo.

Each time I've talked to a GPU sales, they always caution 'update' your BIOS, there thinking, the traditional usage the card, not FAH. Asking Lenovo tech about the 1070 on, the K320, they advised not to use this card:

1. PSU
2. MB pcie 3 card in a pcie 2 hole less than expected results, or not taking full advantage of the card
3. LCD display, not sure what there issues are about this, but this FAH machine would not have a monitor attached.

I do not need a BIOS update, nor is one available

Thanks Jimbo
Merry Christmas
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Bummer! Finalized my pick for PSU EVGA 550W Gold, checking out fan replacements. Decided one more look inside the box. 1070, 1050 are out! This box can only take a 'single slot' card. As the double slots, are generally 1.5", would be restricted, by, a little box, where you plug the 'sound' that green mini hole, on the back. I'd like to take a chisel & one good whack, it would be gone. Also to the left moving , towards the cpu, there is no, hole for the, two pronged card 2nd prong. Only one prong would be seated:

So far best I can find 'single slot', less than 6 3/4" length, & requires 300W PSU. Should work fine with my 280W. Would be 384 Cuda

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127830 Has fan

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product No Fan

Anything with more CUDA's without using my chisel? Will these fold, both in the 700 series.

Thanks Guys & Merry Christmas
Rick
foldy
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz

Post by foldy »

This is how your PC looks inside?
https://img.conrad.de/medias/global/ce/ ... S_1000.jpg

Are you sure the green sound plug box is in the way? Isn't it above the slot while the dual slot GPUs use space below?

For single slot and half length maybe this gtx 1050 could fit. The cooler uses dual slot space but has some free space between slot and cooler
https://www.zotac.com/product/graphics_ ... n#overview