Would this setup be a problem?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
hiigaran

Would this setup be a problem?

Post by hiigaran »

After getting my multi GPU systems set up, I began to run them without any monitor, mouse or keyboard, choosing to access each system remotely from my third system via Teamviewer. Before going (almost) headless, if I were to remote in, the desktop I'd see would be at the intended resolution of the monitor, as set up by myself when the computer was set up. After removing the three hardware, I'd see a lower resolution desktop instead.

While this isn't too much of a concern on its own, there is something I noticed, which I'm not sure is a problem or not. I noticed that the PPD dropped a bit. This could just be a coincidence, and simply caused by varying work units, but I just wanted to run this by you guys, in case it's something to be concerned about.
Rel25917

Re: Would this setup be a problem?

Post by Rel25917 »

If you want to be sure you would need to track the time per frame of a unit with and without the monitor attached. I would guess its just normal variance between projects, there is a group of them out right now that are rather bad for ppd.
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

I had hoped for that. If it's serious enough later on, then I'll look into it further. Thanks
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAHControl is able to track remote clients without the use of Team Viewer. You might want to consider using both, but for different purposes. FAHCcontrol/FAHClient can only monitor a remote FAHClient so you'd probably still use TeamVIewer to check on files, to run utilities, etc.
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

Pretty much why TV is better for my purposes. Initially, I plan on only running my folding systems while I'm home, but after everything runs without a problem for about a month or so, I'll switch to 24/7 operations. As I'm out of the country for 2/3rds of the month, remoting in to check on both F@H, as well as BOINC, temperatures, fans and other system readouts is vital.

On that note, I've been trying to set up Wake On LAN by using Teamviewer to wake the systems, but I haven't had any luck. Even though WOL is enabled on the systems, any attempt to wake them results in...well, no result. The button is clicked, but nothing happens. Not even an error message. Perhaps there is some key information that I'm missing about what to do, or even how WOL works, but anyone have any ideas?
Aurum

Post by Aurum »

bruce wrote:FAHControl is able to track remote clients without the use of Team Viewer. You might want to consider using both, but for different purposes. FAHCcontrol/FAHClient can only monitor a remote FAHClient so you'd probably still use TeamVIewer to check on files, to run utilities, etc.
Wow!!! That is such a nice feature. I wish I'd discovered it sooner. I have 13 folding rigs and 9 of them are headless. All of them have TightVNC installed but having all my rigs listed on my PC's FAHControl is just what I needed. :D
In Science We Trust Image