question about vega

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Glennmas

question about vega

Post by Glennmas »

So a while a go I made a toppic that fah doesnt run at the highest memory speed that is possible on my card and that its only benefitting a little bit from the memory speed so my question was does this rule also applie for hbm 2.0?
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: question about vega

Post by foldy »

I heared that GPU memory speed is not so important for folding. It is more about shader count and GPU clock speed. So it doesn't matter if a GPU uses GDDR5(X) or HBM(x) memory.

AMD Vega will rock because of its 10 TFlops similar to GTX 1080. We will see when benchmarks are available.
bruce

Post by bruce »

When running a game, you expect your video to have a high frame-rate while displaying high resolution, high color images. That video data stream depends on fast memory. FAH does not produce high quality video data. Both FAH and your game use the shaders to calculate the 3D data which can be turned into visual images but those 3D calculations depend mostly on the speed of the shaders, not on memory speed.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

In other words, shader speed and count are the gating factors (bottle-neck) for FAH performance, so memory speed has little impact on performance, as noted above.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.