Gaming performance with one of two cards folding.

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Moriarty

Gaming performance with one of two cards folding.

Post by Moriarty »

Hello! I am planning on purchasing a new graphics card in the coming months, and I'm wondering if I will be able to move my current 980 to another slot on my motherboard to fold 24/7, while having the newer card in the old slot for gaming purposes. Am I correct in thinking that the 980 won't impede the newer card when it comes to gaming performance? Will I need any kind of sli bridge? The second lane that will fit my 980 is only an 8x slot. Will that be a problem? Please comment if you think that there will be any issues with this setup. Thanks! :)
bruce

Re: Gaming performance with one of two cards folding.

Post by bruce »

FAH will treat each card independently; a sli bridge won't change anything. I can't speak for what your game will do when it sees two GPUs..

An 8x slot will do a reasonable job of feeding FAH data to the card but it may run slightly slower than it does in a 16x slot.

After you make changes to which GPU is in which slot, you'll need to reinstall both the drivers and the FAH software. .

You can configure FAH to run 24x7 on one card and you can run another FAH slot on the other card when you're not actually using the computer.
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

Thanks for the reply Bruce!
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Windows and Games use the main GPU which is where your display is attached. So you need to attach it to your new graphics card.