Continued coil whine?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Moriarty

Continued coil whine?

Post by Moriarty »

Hello boys and girls! My current 980 SC suffers from some coil whine, which has been present ever since I purchased the card. It is not terrible, but it would be a relief to see it gone. I plan on purchasing a Pascal card in awhile, and then making my 980 run F@h 24/7. Would I still hear the coil whine of the 980 under load while using the new card for gaming and such? Thanks :)
bruce

Re: Continued coil whine?

Post by bruce »

The whine will probably not change. If it's bothersome, you might ask the manufacturer to replace it.

There are some do-ti-yourself fixes to add some kind of potting material over the core, but you'll have to consult a hardware support site to get more information.
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

Thanks for the advice. I can't in good conscience sell a gpu with coil whine, so maybe I could buy a cheap used pc to hold the gpu while it runs F@h.
Leonardo
Hardware configuration: GPU slots on home-built, purpose-built PCs.

Post by Leonardo »

I can't in good conscience sell a gpu with coil whine, so maybe I could buy a cheap used pc to hold the gpu while it runs F@h.
Sure you can! Just inform potential buyers of the issue when you post a for-sale advertisement. There's nothing wrong with selling blemished/flawed items; but to not mention the problems is another matter.
Aurum

Post by Aurum »

Moriarty wrote:Thanks for the advice. I can't in good conscience sell a gpu with coil whine, so maybe I could buy a cheap used pc to hold the gpu while it runs F@h.
Sell as "For Parts of Repair" and explain this coil whining. Or, you can donate it to The Folding Farm where it'll fold out its days in the company of others.
In Science We Trust Image
bruce

Post by bruce »

I agree with Leonardo.

If I were to buy a reliable GPU for a fair price with a known issue with coil whine, I could easily put it in a computer where the whine wouldn't keep me awake at night or otherwise interfere with my ability to fold with it. Whether it folds in your "cheap used PC" or in one I put in my garage doesn't matter to FAH.