Best 4 lane Nvidia GPU?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
ComputerGenie

Re: Best 4 lane Nvidia GPU?

Post by ComputerGenie »

SteveWillis wrote:Where is a good source? All the ones on Amazon look like junk.
If you mean the powered risers, chances are that you're not going to find a "pretty" version. There's almost no commercial call for such an item, so no "manufacture" actually makes them. Since I have like 12 gajillion miles of wire for wiring my ASIC PSU/cards, I made my own; however, as long as they are soldered well, even the most ugly versions will work without breakage (unless you plan on pulling stuff in and out a ton of times).
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

There are a number of listings on amazon for powered 16x to 16x risers. By junk I mean that there are many reviews stating that their motherboards were damaged or ruined as soon as they tried to boot with the risers, aside from many other reviews that they just soon quit working. None were rated highly and I take customer reviews and ratings very seriously. LOL I found one vendor on line who claimed he sold "thousands every month" which made me laugh as that was obviously impossible. So for now I guess I'll just be happy with the set-up that I have now which isn't too bad as I'm getting about 2.5M PPD from the rig. Thank you so much for your help.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
bruce

Post by bruce »

I encountered the same problem a year or two ago. I have a few systems with old motherboards with a 16x slot plus a 1x slot. I tried a 1x to 16x unpowered slot but the GPU I tried had an external power cable.

I was not able to get the 1x slot to work but I never tired very hard.
One thing I should have tried is attach the only monitor to the 1x GPU which probably would have forced Windows to try harder to recognize the monitor.
I also never checked if the system supported 16 lanes or 20. I wouldn't want it to reduce the only fast slot to 8x just to support 1x at the same time. (These were probably PCIe 1.0)
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

I did get a 1x slot to run a 750ti wit a powered 1x to 16x riser on my motherboard. As far as I can tell it didn't slow any of the other cards down. Course the 750ti isn't real demanding.
I found a powered 16x to 16x powered riser on ebay that looks really good. Looking forward to trying it out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261459534757?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
bruce

Post by bruce »

This fits my situation better if the GPU uses slot power.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-PCIe-1x ... 1854030388

Last time I did it, the GPU power was connected directly, bypassing slot power so the cabled adapter was unpowered. I wonder if the GPU only comes on if some power can be drawn from the 1x slot. My guess is that WIndows just didn't detect a new GPU because it already had a display somewhere else.

Actually, a 1x adapter to provide extra external USB connections might be a better option than the little 1x adapter provided with that configuration but bandwidth considerations would apply if more than one device was connected.
Aurum

Post by Aurum »

SteveWillis wrote:Where is a good source? All the ones on Amazon look like junk.
Are you asking about risers :?:
All risers are junk, poorly made and easily broken if not shorted as received.

Anyone ever tried this EVGA Power Boost approach :?: :?: :?:
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.as ... MB-PB01-BR

I'm planning to try it by making one from a broken riser.
In Science We Trust Image