Nvidia Titan Xp

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Ricky
Hardware configuration: 1. 2 each E5-2630 V3 processors, 64 GB RAM, GTX980SC GPU, and GTX980 GPU running on windows 8.1 operating system.
2. I7-6950X V3 processor, 32 GB RAM, 1 GTX980tiFTW, and 2 each GTX1080FTW GPUs running on windows 8.1 operating system.

Re: Nvidia Titan Xp

Post by Ricky »

On Friday, April 28, 2017, I added a 6-8 pin short extension to free-up a 6 pin connector. I saw no change in the XP performance.

Saturday, April 29, 2017, I added back the GTX980SC to my second slot. The clocks on the XP and the 980 dropped, but would run with stability. The XP would change its clock rate quite often before the change, but it dropped to 1405 MHz after. The GTX980SC dropped to 1380 MHz.

As it is now, The XP is back to running variable higher clocks ( from 1468 MHz to 1759 MHz) , while the 980 is frozen at the 1380 MHz. I believe I saw the 980 run higher when the room is cooler, but its temperature is only 75 C right now. I assume I am pushing the power supply such that it produces more power at the cooler temperatures.

Edit: I should also note that PPD is good for both cards at the moment.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Nvidia Titan Xp

Post by toTOW »

Ricky wrote:toTOW,

Are you saying that the CPU clock rate could be effecting the GPU loading? NVidia already needs one CPU thread as it is. I would be happy to dedicate a second thread, if I could. As it is I have 3 threads idle.
This is exactly what I'm saying :D

Unfortunately, the thread feeding the GPU is alone, so it can't gain a lot from more than one free CPU thread. It will gain something anyway for two reasons : less competition between threads (including OS ones) to access the CPU resources, and higher turbo clock on most modern CPUs when only one core is used. For instance on my laptop, the CPU runs at 3.3 GHz when all core are in use, but it will ramp up to 3.5 GHz when only one core is in use.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.