Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.

Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby lovingfriendstar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:13 am

I've just started folding on my GTX 1070 and GTX 1060 6GB on Windows 10 recently. I have been folding 24/7 for 2 days and have already completed 30 WUs after binding my passkey. But my PPD values for both cards combined are hovering around 450,000 when I should be getting at least 650,000 to 750,000 after accounting for powerlimit I've set for the cards at 70% and 80% respectively. I know the PPD varies according to the WU but the most I have ever seen is around 500,000. It is even now showing 270,000 PPD. This seems quite bad when the GTX 1070 alone should be able to pull more than that.

Why am I getting such low PPD? Can anyone please help me figure out what has been going wrong with my setup? I'm using the latest version of F@H just downloaded a few days ago.

My specs are
Ryzen R7 1700 @3.2GHz
Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3
8GB RAM
GTX 1070 and GTX 1060 6GB using 373.06 drivers
(GTX 1070 @PCI-e x16 3.0 and GTX 1060 @PCI-e x4 2.0 speeds)
lovingfriendstar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:52 am

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby bruce » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:18 am

I'm not sure I'll be able to answer the question, but facts that also might be helpful is the effective speed of the PCIe bus (Reported by GPU-Z) for each card.
(Just because your hardware specification says it supports x16 3.0 and x4 2.0 speeds doesn't prove they're actually connecting at that speed, and 4x 2.0 is pretty slow for some WUs you might be assigned.)

Also, which projects happen to have be running. Also confirm that you've completed at least 10 WUs without any changes to either the Username or the passkey across all your machines.

This may be the same issue as the ones being discussed here whether or not you're talking about the same project.

With older (slower) GPUs, any lag introduced by a saturated PCIe bus was negligible but as the speed of GPUs has increased more rapidly than the speed of the bus, it's becoming more significant. It was easy to establish a nominal PPD when the GPU's compute engine was always the part that was saturated. The bus was always fast enough to introduce no noticeable lags, but as GPU speeds as well as the amount of data in a WU have increased, it's becoming likely that the GPU can process data faster than the bus can supply it. (Then the GPU necessarily slows down waiting for data.)

This may or may not be your issue.

The actual throughput is a result of a sort of a weighted sum of data transfer delays and data computing delays. Of course there are a lot of other factors involved, (like drivers, etc.)
bruce
 
Posts: 21291
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: So. Cal.

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby Kjetil » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:42 am

You run a old driver. I use 378.78 on win 10.
Kjetil
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:56 pm
Location: Stavanger Norway

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby Nathan_P » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:34 am

I suspect the 1060 is being bottlenecked by the PCIe bus speed. If you want to see if your 1070 is running at full speed pause the 1060 and let the 1070 run for a day or so by itself. At full speed you should get around 600k PPD - given yours is power limited you should see 450-500k from that card depending on project.
Image
Nathan_P
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Jersey, Channel islands

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby foldy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Are you sure both cards are under load? Maybe fah tries to run both work units on the same GPU?
foldy
 
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby lovingfriendstar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:47 pm

bruce wrote:I'm not sure I'll be able to answer the question, but facts that also might be helpful is the effective speed of the PCIe bus (Reported by GPU-Z) for each card.
(Just because your hardware specification says it supports x16 3.0 and x4 2.0 speeds doesn't prove they're actually connecting at that speed, and 4x 2.0 is pretty slow for some WUs you might be assigned.)

Also, which projects happen to have be running. Also confirm that you've completed at least 10 WUs without any changes to either the Username or the passkey across all your machines.

This may be the same issue as the ones being discussed here whether or not you're talking about the same project.

With older (slower) GPUs, any lag introduced by a saturated PCIe bus was negligible but as the speed of GPUs has increased more rapidly than the speed of the bus, it's becoming more significant. It was easy to establish a nominal PPD when the GPU's compute engine was always the part that was saturated. The bus was always fast enough to introduce no noticeable lags, but as GPU speeds as well as the amount of data in a WU have increased, it's becoming likely that the GPU can process data faster than the bus can supply it. (Then the GPU necessarily slows down waiting for data.)

This may or may not be your issue.

The actual throughput is a result of a sort of a weighted sum of data transfer delays and data computing delays. Of course there are a lot of other factors involved, (like drivers, etc.)


I have confirmed the PCI-e speeds via GPU-Z and they're correct. The cards are also Util limited or PWR limited but not bus limited so I'm not sure if that's the problem.

Also, I have used the same user name and pass key and have folded even more WUs. The units include 10496, 13200, and several others I don't quite remember.
lovingfriendstar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:52 am

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby lovingfriendstar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:48 pm

Kjetil wrote:You run a old driver. I use 378.78 on win 10.


I was using 382.XX driver before and downgraded to 373.06 after seeing that it is the recommended driver for folding for now. Not sure what's the problem here though.
lovingfriendstar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:52 am

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby lovingfriendstar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:50 pm

foldy wrote:Are you sure both cards are under load? Maybe fah tries to run both work units on the same GPU?


It is indeed running on both devices as shown by GPU-z workloads.
lovingfriendstar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:52 am

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby lovingfriendstar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:51 pm

Nathan_P wrote:I suspect the 1060 is being bottlenecked by the PCIe bus speed. If you want to see if your 1070 is running at full speed pause the 1060 and let the 1070 run for a day or so by itself. At full speed you should get around 600k PPD - given yours is power limited you should see 450-500k from that card depending on project.


I'll try this later. Thanks for the suggestion.
lovingfriendstar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:52 am

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby Joe_H » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:06 pm

lovingfriendstar wrote:
Kjetil wrote:You run a old driver. I use 378.78 on win 10.


I was using 382.XX driver before and downgraded to 373.06 after seeing that it is the recommended driver for folding for now. Not sure what's the problem here though.


That is an old recommendation, look at the dates of the posts and the reasons it was recommended last year. Those issues have been dealt with.
Image

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3822
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:41 pm
Location: W. MA

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby bruce » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:25 pm

As you probably know, WIndows 10 home forces updates when Microsoft decides to. ... and when they do, they kill OpenCL. :(
NVidia releases and certifies new WHQL drivers long before MS distributes them, so by keeping up-to-date from NV, I avoid the possibility that MS will find obsolete ones.
I'm currently running 382.xx
bruce
 
Posts: 21291
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: So. Cal.

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby lovingfriendstar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:59 am

Joe_H wrote:
lovingfriendstar wrote:
Kjetil wrote:You run a old driver. I use 378.78 on win 10.


I was using 382.XX driver before and downgraded to 373.06 after seeing that it is the recommended driver for folding for now. Not sure what's the problem here though.


That is an old recommendation, look at the dates of the posts and the reasons it was recommended last year. Those issues have been dealt with.


Which driver is the currently recommended one now? I would like to play games on my system occasionally so indeed I want to have the latest driver but I don't want to hurt my folding performance either.
lovingfriendstar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:52 am

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby lovingfriendstar » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:08 am

Alright. I've updated the drivers to the latest 384.76 and it seems like the app is reporting correct PPD. It was also getting the correct amount of points before (verified via Stanford website and folding.extremeoverclocking.com), and it is just the client was reporting incorrectly which is about half of what I should be getting.

Again... Is 384.76 any good for folding, or should I get another version? Which is the current recommended one for folding?
lovingfriendstar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:52 am

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby bruce » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:09 am

The general recommendation has alwasy been to run the latest released version from the GPU manufacturer.

Sometimes difficulties are discovered/reported and ONLY then do we recommend that you revert to an earlier version until the reported problem is resolved.
bruce
 
Posts: 21291
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: So. Cal.

Re: Low PPD for GTX 1070 + GTX 1060

Postby Aurum » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:44 pm

lovingfriendstar wrote:My specs are: Ryzen R7 1700 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3, 8GB RAM, 373.06 driver, and GTX 1070 @PCI-e x16 3.0 and GTX 1060 @PCI-e x4 2.0 speed.
Are you also doing CPU folding? Your CPU has 8 lanes and 2 need to be dedicated to folding GPU cards. I look at Task Manager Performance and sometimes back off and use 5 cores for CPU folding so I don't max out the CPU loads.
I assume the two cards are in slots 1 & 4 and slots 2 & 3 are empty, "The PCIEX4 slot operates at up to x4 mode when both of the PCIEX1_2 and PCIEX1_3 slots are empty."
http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-10#sp
The Folding Farm Image is a member of the Image team.
User avatar
Aurum
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:15 pm
Location: Reno, NV


Return to FAH Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron