Does anyone ever pull a heavy memory used?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Green

Does anyone ever pull a heavy memory used?

Post by Green »

Im not really focused on the memory controller. But last card I got was only 2 gigs, and I saved because of it, then it utilized all the 2gigs to my amazement. Today it is back using only 54 megs. Anyone want to comment on this? I read an article in a paper magazine back in like 09' that a card that is memory alone and no chip is like a ferrari without the engine type thing. So that being said, the r9 380 really does pull down 3x the 750 gtx points, due to GFLOPS Alone. Enough on that Ill wait for someones thoughts. Now about the price, its 100 dollars more for an extra 3 gigs on amazon warehouses also known as used 1060 gtx. 200$ vs 300$, you can also see its a perpetually steep incline to take.
Very Respectfully
Ben D.C. Bruner
bruce

Re: Does anyone ever pull a heavy memory used?

Post by bruce »

When you ask about "memory" you might mean system RAM (used by the CPU) or GDDR memory (used in your r9 380 GPU). Depending on which you mean, you'll get two different answers.

In either case, the 2gig you mention is probably the size of the download file, not the amount of memory it uses.

Spending extra money on large GDDR memory is not useful for FAH when folding -- except if you're using FAHViewer or the screensaver. THe footprint in graphics memory (aka VRAM) is generally quite small. Extra graphic memory is useful when producing video, such as when gaming. Your screen resolution, the color settings, and the number of monitors you use at the same time all increase the amount of video memory. When just folding, FAH doesn't produce video.
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

Although 3 GB is likely more than enough, the difference between the 3 GB and 6 GB GTX 1060 is greater than the 3 GB of memory...

The 6 GB version has 1280 shaders, the 3 GB has 1152, so 10% or so more FLOPs at the same clock speed. Still likely not worth the extra $$ at those prices.
Green

Post by Green »

I took the numbers from gpuz, but thanks. I wasnt happy when I saw it, because I had been out of FAH for a while, due to no hardware, and it made me look bad. Its gone now, and I see my first assertation many times on the forums that it doesnt use Graphics Card ddr5.
Very Respectfully
Ben D.C. Bruner
bruce

Post by bruce »

Green wrote:my first assertation many times on the forums that it doesnt use Graphics Card ddr5.
Not quite true the way you stated it. It DOES use the ddr memory ... just not very much of it.