egpu support

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
gfos

egpu support

Post by gfos »

Hello,

I was wondering whether egpus are supported by folding@home. I have a Mac mini with a plugged in sonnet egpu box and a Radeon Vega 64 but the client cannot find the gpu. Is it something I'm doing wrong? In case this topic has been brought up before kindly direct me to the threat.

Thanks in advance.
ProDigit

Re: egpu support

Post by ProDigit »

there have been reports on it working in the past.
I myself am waiting for parts to arrive, to see if I can drive an old laptop from the ExpressCard slot, with an eGPU.
Until then, if you're running iOS, there might be issues there. Linux could also have driver issues.
Highest chance of success, would be to try to run it from a Windows environment first.

I know EGPUs only work via Thunderbolt, or ExpressCard slots. Or if tapped off the internal PCIE bus.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

The MacOS client does not support GPUs at all. In the past, there was a bug in Apple's OpenCL code, and the Pande Group has never gotten back to it.

If you were dual booting Linux or Windows and had the correct drivers for those OS's, then it might work, slowly.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

eGPUs can still be better than folding from a CPU; and they're portable.
They could also add to CPU folding.

That being said, according to what I read, the ExpressCard slots are between 1/2 to 1x the speed of a PCIE 1x slot.
I think that's between GT 1030 and GTX 1050 territory (30-100k PPD).

I really think it's a pity, that until today, no egpus have been created working on USB 3.0 ports.
At best, USB 3.0 would be like a PCIE 2x slot (2.5x minus some overhead), and I estimate good enough for portable folding with a GTX 1050.
bruce

Post by bruce »

It's all dependent on drivers. As has already been said, there are zero supported drivers for OS-X and OpenCL, no matter how the GPU happens to be connected. On either Linux or Windows, some iGPUs are recognized since the drivers recognize them as the same model as the chip that's also used in a dGPU.

I've been looking for somebody running OS-X with an add-on dGPU that's supported on Windows or Linux who is willing to run a test, but those machines are really pretty rare. (ATI or nVidia, not Intel).
ArneyViel

Post by ArneyViel »

Hi...I've been running Folding@Home on my egpu for a couple of months now. No issues with slowdowns or overheating as almost all the work is done by the gpu outside the laptop. Unfortunately there isn't a GPU macOS client, but windows bootcamp or Linux can be made to use the egpu.

medical pcb assembly
Last edited by ArneyViel on Thu May 14, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum ArneyViel,

Can you please post your log file. Ensure that you have copied the System configuration which is present at the start of the log file: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=26036 :)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues