IGPs good enough for folding?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
MeeLee

IGPs good enough for folding?

Post by MeeLee »

Do you think Intel IGPs will ever become good enough for folding?

Current Intel offer, and IGP doubles their older IGPs speed, and overtakes AMD IGPs.
The technology should support up to 1 tflops of graphics power, or equal to a GT1030 in single precision, but supposedly that's not for another year and a half at least.

https://wccftech.com/intel-gpu-iris-plu ... ga-11/amp/
bruce

Re: IGPs good enough for folding?

Post by bruce »

I'd really like to be able to say yes, IGPs will be supported BUT they're really not designed for heavy computing, either from the speed standpoint or the heat standpoint. Their primary design goal to to provide just enough graphics power to run your laptop's screen while using the least amount of battery power. While there may be exceptions (and you're welcome to try yours) they're going to either miss the deadline or just barely make it.

The capabilities of IGPs do continue to be improved, but the high-end GPUs are moving ahead faster, making the IGPs even less capable by comparison.

Moreover, as new projects come out, they seem to be all use Mixed Precision, so there will be a small percentage of Double Precision operations, and on IGPs that's a killer.

For a while, I tried a GT730 but it was so limited that I decided to remove it from service.
Theodore

Re: IGPs good enough for folding?

Post by Theodore »

I would presume they're talking about desktop IGPs, and it will probably be another 2-3 years before Intel will reach that performance on mobile systems.
Intel always has been about 2-5 years behind in the graphics market, especially in the mobile market.

This probably won't escape AMD's notice.
They've been in the market for offering better integrated graphics than Intel, for similar priced products.
I'm sure by 2020, AMD will have a competing, or superior product ready.