BiFrost - 6 GPUs on x570 with m.2 to PCIex4 Adapters

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
MeeLee

Re: BiFrost - 6 GPUs on x570 with m.2 to PCIex4 Adapters

Post by MeeLee »

I yet have to run tests, the m.2 to PCIE 16x full size slot, is an excellent idea!
It does save me to file off PCIE 4x ribbon cables.
Will be running some tests on it soon!

Edit: Turns out I already preordered these cables last month! Probably the shipping from China takes nearly 2 months to arrive :/
gordonbb
Hardware configuration: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS; NVidia 525.60.11; 2 x 4070ti; 4070; 4060ti; 3x 3080; 3070ti; 3070

Post by gordonbb »

MeeLee wrote:I yet have to run tests, the m.2 to PCIE 16x full size slot, is an excellent idea!
It does save me to file off PCIE 4x ribbon cables.
Will be running some tests on it soon!

Edit: Turns out I already preordered these cables last month! Probably the shipping from China takes nearly 2 months to arrive :/
I ordered directly from the manufacturer who had the best prices and selection and they shipped DHL from Singapore and took about a week to arrive at my door in Canada.
gordonbb
Hardware configuration: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS; NVidia 525.60.11; 2 x 4070ti; 4070; 4060ti; 3x 3080; 3070ti; 3070

Post by gordonbb »

HaloJones wrote:Insane! I would never have thought of this; hell, I didn't even know you could slot a M2 card into a PCIE slot.

Great work!
Thanks. It was a hmm, that’s interesting when I realized that the m.2 was just 4 raw PCIe lanes. Then when I saw the bifurcation support showing up on newer motherboards and the PCIe adapter card’s I realized this should work for Folding.

Now if we could get a go fund me for ADT-Link to make a direct PCIe3 x16 to 4 x PCIe3 x4 in x16 adapter with staggered cables then that should shave the cost down ... but I doubt there’s enough interest.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

I've seem similar cards on Newegg, for $99.
PCIE 16x to 4x or even 5x m.2 4x speed.
Strange thing, I did an order on one of them, and the seller refused to sell the card to me, because it wasn't used for 'bitcoin mining'.
The seller acted very strange, and asked me weird questions. The first time I get contacted by a seller asking why I wanted to purchase the card, and what my system specs are.

I fear it may have been a board that was bugged; perhaps to steal some mining coins.

The other boards on Newegg are still up for purchase, if anyone was looking for a PCIE 16x-to-multiple-riser solution.
gordonbb

Post by gordonbb »

MeeLee wrote:I've seem similar cards on Newegg, for $99.
Strange thing, I did an order on one of them, and the seller refused to sell the card to me, because it wasn't used for 'bitcoin mining'.
The seller acted very strange, and asked me weird questions. The first time I get contacted by a seller asking why I wanted to purchase the card, and what my system specs are.

I fear it may have been a board that was bugged; perhaps to steal some mining coins.

The other boards on Newegg are still up for purchase, if anyone was looking for a PCIE 16x-to-multiple-riser solution.
I found an Asus Card on Amazon Warehouse deals for a much better price for an open box with damaged packaging but their full retail prices were not that more expensive.

About the only Active components on the Asus Card are a couple of VRMs, likely to down convert the 12V to supply higher power on minor rails needed by the m.2 SSDs. In this instance very little should be needed as all the card does is direct the 4 bifurcated PCIe3 x4 lanes from the bus to the GPUs and the CPU and GPU have all the line driver electronics.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

gordonbb wrote:

I found an Asus Card on Amazon Warehouse deals for a much better price for an open box with damaged packaging but their full retail prices were not that more expensive.

About the only Active components on the Asus Card are a couple of VRMs, likely to down convert the 12V to supply higher power on minor rails needed by the m.2 SSDs. In this instance very little should be needed as all the card does is direct the 4 bifurcated PCIe3 x4 lanes from the bus to the GPUs and the CPU and GPU have all the line driver electronics.
True dat!
Those Chinese boards on Newegg have some sort of processor on them.
This makes everything suspicious!
I've reported their behavior to Newegg.com, and they've since removed the item, and seller; it appears.
The item isn't anymore in my past returned, cancelled or ordered list.
Mustung
Hardware configuration: Asus Z170p
Intel 6700k
AMD Rx Vega 56
8GB DDR4
Intel 760P 256G

Post by Mustung »

Chinese here, brought one for nvme ssd storage. Also asked tons of questions, had to show a bios snapshot to quiet him and get it delivered. I believe this not suspicious chip issue but a compatible thing. The vendor probablly asked what your mother board is since not all mobos support 16x bifurcation. It would be pain in the a__ for both of you if you what a refund.

If you use it for mining, the card probbaly cant stand the 24x7 load and you lose the one year warrenty, so always say 'no i am not mining' or "what is mining? this is a gaming pc".

And...i think you can get for much less than $99. Asus was $78 and local brand maybe half the price but without shround + cooling fan.
AMD 5800x Gigabyte 3090 LC
RTX2060(s) x 6