Power Supply Efficiency

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Paragon
Hardware configuration: Rig1 (Dedicated SMP): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, Gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3 board, 8 GB Kingston 1333 DDR3 Ram, Seasonic S12 II 380 Watt PSU, Noctua CPU Cooler

Rig2 (Part-Time GPU): Intel Q6600, Gigabyte 965P-S3 Board, EVGA 460 GTX Graphics, 8 GB Kingston 800 DDR2 Ram, Seasonic Gold X-650 PSU, Artic Cooling Freezer 7 CPU Cooler

Power Supply Efficiency

Post by Paragon »

Anyone ever wonder how many watts could be saved (and thus dollars) if everyone on the project bumped up the efficiency of their PSUs a few notches? Especially anyone running PSU's less than 80% efficient...I just did a study on what a 5% efficiency bump looks like in practice on a single-GPU folding rig:

https://greenfoldingathome.com/2019/11/ ... -is-money/

Just going from 80+ Bronze to 80+ Gold saves about $20 a year for a moderate 1070 Ti folding rig...for the big crazy folding farms, the savings would be a lot more! I included a quick cost savings example at the bottom of the article for anyone interested in doing something similar for their rigs.

What would you folks say the sweet spot is (efficiency bang for the buck) for buying used PSU's? I'm thinking 80+ Gold...
Last edited by Paragon on Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MeeLee

Re: Power Supply Efficiency

Post by MeeLee »

Bronze vs gold are nearly identical in efficiency at 50% load.
While the numbers differ from PSU to PSU, you can say that a bronze PSY has 80% efficiency between ~30-75% load, while a golden one has an efficiency of the same between 25-85%.
A much wider efficiency range, but for folding that shouldn't make a difference.
Just get a cheaper bronze PSU (they're almost the same price as sub 80+ PSUs anyway) and just make sure you're within that 30-70% load range.
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

MeeLee wrote:Bronze vs gold are nearly identical in efficiency at 50% load.
While the numbers differ from PSU to PSU, you can say that a bronze PSY has 80% efficiency between ~30-75% load, while a golden one has an efficiency of the same between 25-85%.
A much wider efficiency range, but for folding that shouldn't make a difference.
Just get a cheaper bronze PSU (they're almost the same price as sub 80+ PSUs anyway) and just make sure you're within that 30-70% load range.
Um... Not sure about that

Gold is 90% at 50% load
Bronze is 85% at 50% load
(at 115V supply - 230 volt numbers are higher, but show the same relative differences)

Gold wastes a third less power than Bronze, Platinum a half.

Oh, and to the original question - I see gold as optimal, but regularly go for platinum because:
1. I pay for electricity
2. I don't pay for hardware...
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

the 85% rating is minimum, Their efficiency is usually better.
Some Gold PSUs have a mode like an eco mode, where the PSU runs hotter, and it's fan runs slower.
Not very good for the capacitors in them.
And efficiencies vary from brand to brand, and even from model to model of the same brand.
Best way to test it, is to buy both, and measure with a killawatt meter.
QuintLeo

Post by QuintLeo »

Paragon wrote:Anyone ever wonder how many watts could be saved (and thus dollars) if everyone on the project bumped up the efficiency of their PSUs a few notches?
In my case, very little - all of my folding rigs run Seasonic X-series (gold), Seasonic SS-series (platinum), or Corsair AX-860 (Seasonic SS-series made specifically for Corsair but sadly does NOT have cable interchangeability with the X or SS series) (platinum), or EVGA G2 series (gold).

The Seasonic and EVGA gold supplies just BARELY miss platinum spec efficiency levels, the plat ones are fairly close to titanium specs.

Eco mode is .... I don't use it, and it wouldn't change much anyway as it only kicks in at low load factors.

Gold supplies are better than 90% efficiency at almost ANY level - they're a LOT more efficient than most Bronze supplies, especially the better Gold models.