Heads up! 2 different type of RTX Super cards on the market

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
MeeLee

Heads up! 2 different type of RTX Super cards on the market

Post by MeeLee »

If you're in the market for a new RTX Super card, check the model description.
If it ends in GC, it uses the newer GDDR6 memory modules.
These modules are stacked modules, and are said to offer better power consumption values (important for FAH), but are potentially lower overclocking modules (which doesn't really matter for FAH)

Model description ending in GD, is using the older GDDR 5 memory, and aside from being older, they also are more expensive (about $20 per card).
Both memory configurations use the same memory speeds (14Gbits, with 16Gbits overclocking potential).
The GDDR6 modules supposedly are running at 7GBits, but use a dual channel system (indicating that possibly 2 layer stacking is used).
If you measure GPU temperatures, memory modules that are cooled by the heat sink are significantly cooler than the GPU.
Using this newer GDDR6 modules, we can expect the memory modules to run at higher temperatures, though they should be able to handle those temperatures just fine.

I just ordered an RTX 2070 Super, with this newer GDDR6 memory.
Will update on any noticeable differences with the standard 2070 soon.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Heads up! 2 different type of RTX Super cards on the mar

Post by toTOW »

Where did you see such differences ? I looked at all RTX Super listed on the website I shop, they are all supposed to use GDDR6 ... even non Super card are also advertised as using GDDR6 ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
MeeLee

Re: Heads up! 2 different type of RTX Super cards on the mar

Post by MeeLee »

Apologies, they're using regular DDR6 vs stacked DDR6.
Same speed, but stacked DDR6 is cheaper, and supposedly more power efficient.

I was going on Amazon, looked around for a bit.
This card is one of many examples, you can select the other card on the page, but aside from a price change, there doesn't seem to be much different between both models:

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Graphic ... ING-OC-8GD

I currently have this stacked (GD) model, and I can tell, this RTX 2070 Super GD does +1,5+ MPPD, at a mere 136W (with overclocking).
Compare this to the older RTX 2080 does +1,4 M PPD at 145 Watts.
(both results are averages, in Linux)

I can't even compare the RTX 2070 Super to the 2070 standard (running 1.1M PPD), as the 2070 super card is in my case faster than the standard RTX 2080. I think it has to do with lower power consumption, lower heat generation, causing the drivers to enable higher boost clocks on the cores...