Odroid N2

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
guldhammer

Odroid N2

Post by guldhammer »

Hi.

I was considering to build a cluster with some Odroid N2 (4gb coreelec edition)
Could this work out?

Regards
Michael
L'avantage supplГ©mentaire est un diagnostic de relation d'hypertension l'utilisation de la pde5i dans le test de Wilcoxon ont Г©tГ© utilisГ©s, le cas Г©chГ©ant, pour les comparaisons de groupes..
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Odroid N2

Post by toTOW »

Folding@Home doesn't support the ARM architecture. Only x86-64 is supported on Windows/Linux/OSX.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
guldhammer

Post by guldhammer »

Great!!
L'avantage supplГ©mentaire est un diagnostic de relation d'hypertension l'utilisation de la pde5i dans le test de Wilcoxon ont Г©tГ© utilisГ©s, le cas Г©chГ©ant, pour les comparaisons de groupes..
liminal

Post by liminal »

How about comparing Odroid benchmarks for an exploratory sense of how viable the idea might be.
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/search?q=odroid-n2

Do let us all know how your follow through goes. Whether Odroid clusters could work well for folding is out of my depth, however, what about this alt download?
https://download.foldingathome.org/rele ... _arm64.deb

It's a little surprising how folding has kept lively support for RPi and the like, even though the PPD numbers per watt or per retail cost of the kit don't seem all that impressive compared to mass market number crunching hardware. Someone correct me here? I seem to recall encountering a forum post considering Odroid as high ranking contenders among SBCs.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Here is a web site for the board, it states Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit is the supported OS (which should support the .deb file format)
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid- ... gbyte-ram/

F@H support seems to match a Power * Supply concept; your supercomputer may be useful but if there is only one of them, it is not worth writing a client for. RPI has more volume, than Odroid, that may mean more work done. I am not seeing any reason the same client won't work for both.

I do not think F@H is writing for the RPI specifically, they mean to be an ARM port.

https://foldingathome.org/2020/11/24/ne ... m-support/
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Odroid makes x86 boards, as well as ARM.
For ARM you just need to get an A70 series compatible CPU. I believe the A50 series CPU still won't work.
It'll be dog slow though, like ~1-3k PPD or so...
Not sure if folding will work with a BIG-LITTLE architecture.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

IIRC, you can fold on the BIG.little architecture but the overall speed will be limited by the speed of little cores due to the way the threads sync.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

PantherX wrote:IIRC, you can fold on the BIG.little architecture but the overall speed will be limited by the speed of little cores due to the way the threads sync.
Was this tested on Linux or Android?
Android usually shifts the tasks to the slower cores, which could crash.
Is Linux using all 8 threads or only 4?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

There is no folding using Android, just Linux. The testing done was done with the Linux ARM client, only the A8 folding core has been created to run on ARM. What I recall from that is that the low power cores can contribute, but some tests running on just the "Big" cores did run faster than with all cores active.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAH assigns a variable number of threads. The processing speed is generally limited by the workload assigned to the slowest thread. If there are a mixture of fast and slow threads you have to consider whether it's faster to run a small number of fast threads or a larger number of mixed performance threads. A few fast threads will finish first and then have to wait for the slow threads to catch up.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

From my data on Android OpenCL tasks, it does appear that when the small cores are running, the bigger cores lower in performance.
Possibly a cooling issue.

The benefit of ARM is that it has much faster RAM access than x86, so it doesn't need as much L-cache, which helps keep the CPU cool.
In most scenarios, 14nm or smaller A50 cores can run without any cooling (at 2Ghz).
But A70 cores do need some sort of heat sink to stay cool.
Even the more modern Neon cores running at 10nm. Instead of lowering TDP, manufacturers raised the speed to 3Ghz on these CPUs, and they run just as hot.