5700XT: fans don't start even at over 100C [solved]

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
ajm

5700XT: fans don't start even at over 100C [solved]

Post by ajm »

I know that this is not a FAH issue and I already wrote to the manufacturer (Asrock) and the AMD support, but it doesn't look like I'll get an answer before long. So I thought maybe someone here already had had this kind of issue and would know how to handle it, if it's not a mere hardware failure.

This is what I wrote on AMD's forum:
5700XT Taichi, win10 (1909), running Folding@home (FAH) software (very intensive).

I was working on another machine and I noticed that the one with the 5700XT was making a hell of a noise. It was the 5700XT's fans. Temps were very hot (>80C). I then saw that the fan rpm didn't register in GPU-Z. I stopped the application, restarted, relaunched FAH. The 5700XT started to work normally, but the fans didn't move, even when the GPU temperature (hot spot) got over 100C. I stopped it. Uninstalled the driver (latest version, downloaded the day before) and software and reinstalled from a fresh download with a "factory reset". No change.

I have used this card for several weeks and she didn't show such a behavior before, that is, the fans were activated progressively and the temperature never reached such a level.

What am I supposed to do?
This is the card: http://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD ... 08G%20OC+/
For now, the GPU is on pause. I have tried several times to restart it and each time I stopped when the temp got over 100C while the fans stood idle. Any idea?

Last edited by ajm on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gordonbb
Hardware configuration: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS; NVidia 525.60.11; 2 x 4070ti; 4070; 4060ti; 3x 3080; 3070ti; 3070

Re: 5700XT: fans don't start even at over 100C

Post by gordonbb »

Go in to the Radeon Driver and manually set the fan to 60% or so. Ive seen this kind of behavior under Linux as well as it seems it is a "feature" of the AMD Drivers to sporadically either mis report the fan speeds or the fan control algorithm to go a little crazy.
ajm

Post by ajm »

That did the trick, thank you gordonbb! :D
Roadpower

Post by Roadpower »

gordonbb wrote:Go in to the Radeon Driver and manually set the fan to 60% or so. Ive seen this kind of behavior under Linux as well as it seems it is a "feature" of the AMD Drivers to sporadically either mis report the fan speeds or the fan control algorithm to go a little crazy.
Hmm, I wonder if it is in the firmware of AMD's GPU's because I've also had this issue come up with a RX480 on Windows Seven which I solved by doing a full manual profile. I really want to give AMD my money but they have got to get on top of driver issues and configurations. Thankfully the CPU division seems to be a different story.
MrFrizzy

Post by MrFrizzy »

Roadpower wrote:
gordonbb wrote:Go in to the Radeon Driver and manually set the fan to 60% or so. Ive seen this kind of behavior under Linux as well as it seems it is a "feature" of the AMD Drivers to sporadically either mis report the fan speeds or the fan control algorithm to go a little crazy.
Hmm, I wonder if it is in the firmware of AMD's GPU's because I've also had this issue come up with a RX480 on Windows Seven which I solved by doing a full manual profile. I really want to give AMD my money but they have got to get on top of driver issues and configurations. Thankfully the CPU division seems to be a different story.
To my knowledge, it isn't necessarily AMD that could be to blame here but rather the manufacturers of the custom cards. I know on at least the reference blower cards, there is no "zero" RPM mode for the fans and it can't be enabled in software but instead by registry modifications or vBIOS modding. On many of the custom designs there is a "zero" RPM mode that is enabled from the factory and is supported in software out of the box. Granted, I know there is a good bit of stuff that AMD puts into the Windows registry that the cards use to run so I don't have a clue how that translates over to Linux if it does at all so I could only be speaking to use under Windows.
S1: AMD R5 3600 & Sapphire RX 5700 XT Reference @2.1GHz under water
S2: Intel Xeon E5-2620v3 & MSI GTX 1650

RX 5700 XT Project & PPD Tracking Spreadsheet