Do PCI-E lanes affect folding performance?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
gordonbb
Hardware configuration: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS; NVidia 525.60.11; 2 x 4070ti; 4070; 4060ti; 3x 3080; 3070ti; 3070

Re: Do PCI-E lanes affect folding performance?

Post by gordonbb »

CaptainHalon wrote:... but also what concerns me is when two slots are running x16 and x4, then the latter lanes are going through the PCH rather than directly to the CPU. With x8/x8, the lanes are strictly CPU lanes. Now whether or not the PCH introduces significant latency, I'm not sure.
I'm running a RTX 2070A in a PCIe3 x4 slot through the PCH and don't see any appreciable degradation of Performance under Ubuntu 18.04.4. It is connected via the 2nd m.2 slot in an x570 motherboard with a Ryzen 2000-series processor so the connection between the CPU and Chipset is PCIe3 x4. But the only other things on the connection are the Keyboard, mouse and the SATA SSD so not too much contention.

When I tested Windows I saw a 5-10% decrease in performance on this GPU.

WRT to Linux Distributions ... Most people use Debian-based distributions (Ubuntu, Mint) so picking one of those will give you a larger pool of folks who can help.

I use Ubuntu for all my folding Rigs but do system management using a terminal (SSH) from Windows and Folding is managed using HfM.net and the Advanced client from Windows as well.
HaloJones

Re: Do PCI-E lanes affect folding performance?

Post by HaloJones »

what device is connecting the M.2 slot to the PCIE connector on your card?
single 1070