Found an old machine and want to fold with it

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
sptn.

Found an old machine and want to fold with it

Post by sptn. »

Hey Guys,

I found an old machine of mine on my parents attic. I assume it is around 12 years old.
CPU: Intel Celeron (I guess 1,8 GHz maybe haven‘t checked yet)
RAM: Geil 4GB
Mainboard: Biostar g31d-m7
Power: LC-Power LC420H-12

Does ist even make sense to use this base configuration for Folding? My Plan is to invest into an older GPU and fold exclusively on this.
Would the CPU support the Folding on an GPU accordingly?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards Tobi
JimboPalmer

Re: Found an old machine and want to fold with it

Post by JimboPalmer »

I doubt a 12 year old Celeron can keep any GPU fed.

Try CPU folding, and post the first 100.lines of the log.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
sptn.

Post by sptn. »

And that‘s the reason I came here. I wanted to consult the experts of there are known cases where it works... or not.

I try to run FaH, I just have to find the time, because my wife does not really Support my ambitions to fold. Thats also why I stopped contributing to BOINC years ago.

Anyway I found out that it is an E1500, 2,20 GHz CPU...
Last edited by sptn. on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

It's only dual core, made on 65 nm process and has no AVX. It's not a machine that I would set up just for folding, unless it's as a spaceheater. It's not an energy efficient folding machine.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

If you'd run Linux on it, the 1,8Ghz could feed a GTX 1050 or 1060 just fine.
Probably the fastest GPU the system could run.
With Windows it would work as well, so long Windows is not using any background activities (like virus scanning, backups, updates, defrags, and other...).
Would be awesome if it could run a 1650 Super, or 1660, as they're more energy efficient, but on an old PC the chances of this GPU being recognized by the BIOS, is quite low.
sptn.

Post by sptn. »

gunnarre wrote:It's only dual core, made on 65 nm process and has no AVX. It's not a machine that I would set up just for folding, unless it's as a spaceheater. It's not an energy efficient folding machine.
And that's exactly why I do not want to do. That's why I thought just feeding a GPU could be an option - unless it works.
MeeLee wrote:If you'd run Linux on it, the 1,8Ghz could feed a GTX 1050 or 1060 just fine.
Probably the fastest GPU the system could run.
With Windows it would work as well, so long Windows is not using any background activities (like virus scanning, backups, updates, defrags, and other...).
Would be awesome if it could run a 1650 Super, or 1660, as they're more energy efficient, but on an old PC the chances of this GPU being recognized by the BIOS, is quite low.
In the end it tourned out to be an 2,2 GHz CPU (E1500). I would be lucky when an 1060 would be a suitable option. That's exactly what I found to be my budget-solution. I found some for ~100€ in the bay.
Running a Linux was my plan. I have no experiences setting up a Linux system but can't be rocket science.

Thanks for your comments so far!
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum sptn.,

This would be the sequence of events to ensure that you fold on your Nvidia GPU under Linux:
1) Ensure that Linux is fully updated.
2) Install the proprietary drivers by Nvidia
3) Install OpenCL package (sudo apt-get install ocl-icd-opencl-dev)
4) Install FAHClient

Note, I have read some posts which suggests that you need to add fahclient to the render/video group. Other posts mention sorting out python 2 dependencies. However, since I don't have much Linux experience, if you encounter any issues, post here and members who have experience would be able to help you out :)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

The python dependencies are just for the Advanced GUI. If you're going to just fold on the old box and use the GUI on another machine to control it, then you don't need to mess around with python.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
sptn.

Post by sptn. »

Trank you for the input. What Type of Linux should I use. I would use Ubuntu. Because its one of the few Types I know.
NormalDiffusion

Post by NormalDiffusion »

Ubuntu 18.04 lts is working without problem for me!

Great tutorial by MeeLee. I followed and it worked like a charm. Just don't upgrade to 20.04!
viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=16&t=31595
sptn.

Post by sptn. »

Alright.
NormalDiffusion wrote:Ubuntu 18.04 lts is working without problem for me!
Great tutorial by MeeLee. I followed and it worked like a charm. Just don't upgrade to 20.04!
Why not the update?

As MeeLee wrote, the CPU can feed at least an GTX 1050. If there are no other opinions I would go for something like this.

Thanks for the help so far. If I find some spare time I try to setup the system accordingly.
If anyone is interested I can post the results.
ajm

Post by ajm »

sptn. wrote: Why not the update?
Because with version 19 Ubuntu removed support for Python 2, which is required for FAHControl. There are possible workarounds and you actually can fold without FAHControl, but it's not ideal.
markdotgooley

Post by markdotgooley »

NormalDiffusion wrote:Ubuntu 18.04 lts is working without problem for me!

I upgraded to 20.04 after an update broke things, and couldn’t get things to work with my two GPUs the way I liked. Mint Linux 20 was no better as it has so much in common with Ubuntu. Installed 18.04 again from scratch after doing no folding for nearly a week. Things work again. Scared even to do updates. I used Unix for over ten years, Ubuntu Linux on and off for maybe another twenty, and I can’t remember how to do anything...
NormalDiffusion

Post by NormalDiffusion »

Same for me. Did the updates yesterday, it deleted the x config. Just reinstalling the Nvidia drivers solved the problem and I was back to folding.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

ajm wrote:
sptn. wrote: Why not the update?
Because with version 19 Ubuntu removed support for Python 2, which is required for FAHControl. There are possible workarounds and you actually can fold without FAHControl, but it's not ideal.
As mentioned support for Python 2 gets removed with Ubuntu 20. Workarounds include adding back Python 2.7, using an unofficial port of FAHControl to Python 3, or not using FAHControl at all. All add additional complexity to the installation and setup.

Ultimately the problems with using a release of Ubuntu or a derivative of it later than version 18.04 LTS is that the last major update to the client code was version 7.5.1 several years ago. Its Linux compatibility was for releases current at the time, in the case of Ubuntu that was 16.04 LTS. 18.04 came out later in the year. The version 7.6 F@h client code is mostly just modifications to include COVID-19 and High Priority as choices for assignment preferences and some bug fixes. So far changes have not included incorporating Python 3 for compatibility with later Linux releases, perhaps one of the unofficial forks for FAHControl will get tested and released later. But the code does need checking, most Python 2 code translates into Python 3, but not all.

Prior to COVID-19 a major rewrite of the client and server code was planned for and started. That included getting the existing client codebase ready to be open source. Much of that was suspended due to the response for COVID-19. But code for FAHControl, Web Control and FAHViewer has become open so far. With some of the volunteer development help work on the rewrite may resume, but any release will probably be sometime next year. Until then relatively minor fixes an be expected to the existing client.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3