Settings Sanity Check - RTX 2080 Ti

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Settings Sanity Check - RTX 2080 Ti

Post by v00d00 »

Could anyone give me an opinion for settings for the following

Code: Select all

Asus Dual GTX 2080 Ti
MSI Z170A SLI
Intel i5 6500. 
Corsair RM850 
Running Windows not Linux (and won't be running Linux because it is primarily a Windows Gaming system).

Currently running MSI Afterburner with the following settings.

Code: Select all

80% Power Limit.
75C Temp Limit
0MHz Core Overclock (stock clocks)
0MHz Mem Overclock (stock memory)
Core is running at 1730-1815MHz without any issues. Memory is running at 6800MHz.

Its running/holding at 65C.
Est PPD is between 2.9 million and 4 million PPD depending on work unit.
GPU Usage is between 83% and 94% depending on work unit.

This machine is not a 24/7 folder. It's a gaming system that may occasionally do some folding. Looking to minimise temperatures and noise while keeping as high a PPD as possible.
Skajaquada
Hardware configuration: Frankenfolder System: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra, Ryzen 5 3600x, 32GB G.Skill 3600 Ram, 2x Nvidia RTX2080Ti, system custom watercooled.

Primo Victoria: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro, Ryzen 7 3700x, 32GB G.Skill Trident 3600 Ram, Radeon RX6800xt, system custom watercooled

Wifeys Machine: MSI X570 Gaming Plus, Ryzen 5 5600x, 32GB G.Skill Trident 3600 Ram, Nvidia RTX 2080Ti, system custom watercooled

Re: Settings Sanity Check - RTX 2080 Ti

Post by Skajaquada »

Hi, this system is very similar to my to my first folding-only system.
It worked very good an i had the same 2080Ti with very similar stats.
The 2080Ti has a great performance in folding, much better then the 3070.
My advice for gaming is: get a new cpu for it, but this will not improve folding :D

I changed on watercooling for 24/7 folding, and this also pushed the performance to 2040Mhz on 80% Power and 45°C Temp.
And this with two 2080Ti who do 4 - 4.5 Mio PPD each, only stopped by the powerlimit :lol:
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

The CPU is a stop gap measure. I have an i7 7700K on an Asus RoG motherboard, waiting for me at a relatives house. But I cant pick it up presently due to lockdown. My original CPU was an i3 6100 and I replaced that with a cheap 6500. Eventually this board and cpu will end up in my secondary gaming rig that runs a GTX 970 (also not for folding).

I'd love to watercool this GPU, cant afford it currently, but maybe in a couple of months. But the thermal paste definitely needs some work at some point.

It will probably only get fired up once in a while, but its nice to do some extra workunits today.

Thanks for the help.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

The memory modules are Hynix or Samsung memory modules, that from the factory are 15Gbps modules.
From my experience, anything above 15Gbps gives errors (in the long run), and it can go even further while folding (to nearly 19Gbps).
My recommendation however, is to run them at the specs of the GPU (14Gbps).
I've never ran into errors folding at those settings.
That means in your case +400Mhz on the memory. (depending on how MSI afterburner deals with memory, it could mean +200Mhz)

For power, get GPUZ installed.
Total power usage should be between 190 and 225W.
Disable the temp setting, as the GPU has a built in temp protection around 83C.

The overclock values are different between brands, models and even GPUs of the same brand/model.
I have had Zotac, MSI, Gigabyte (my favorites), Asus, and EVGA 2080Tis, and I saw very similar boost frequency values between all of them (the best ones were the triple fan GPUs, and the ROG STRIX (which has a thicker cooling solution than the other units).
The ROG STRIX actually ran at 2050Mhz boost.
Depending on the GPU load (projects) and temperature, the Boost frequency of most GPUs should average ~1875mhz. At <60C it could do 1935Mhz. At <80C it's closer to the lower 1800Mhz region.

If the CPU runs above 3Ghz you'll be good with it. No need to immediately change it.

My biggest recommendation, is to get a roll of paper or packaging tape, and create a good airflow for the GPU to receive cool air.
Air intake should be on the opposite side as exhaust, and tape off any case holes that could recirculate hot air back in the case.