Use of ECC memory in F@h

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
lucas-pl

Use of ECC memory in F@h

Post by lucas-pl »

Hello and sorry if this question has already been asked - I couldn't find any topics.
Can Folding@home take any advantage of ECC memory installed on my computer? I'm asking this, because I recently got myself an old, used Telsa GPU, which has ECC VRAM, and since ECC is totally unnecessary in my field of work (3D rendering and architectural design) I've simply disabled it (from what I see it can significantly affect render times).
I use the Tesla as a secondary GPU to speed up rendering.
Can I leave ECC disabled or should enable it when I contribute to F@h?
JimboPalmer

Re: Use of ECC memory in F@h

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

You can leave it disabled. If you start getting errors, then try it enabled, but I bet you don't.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Use of ECC memory in F@h

Post by Joe_H »

The calculations and client take into consideration that F@h is being run on consumer grade systems. If errors in reading RAM do occur, in most cases that will result in a crash of the folding core or exit on another error type. The client will restart the WU at the last checkpoint.

ECC RAM may avoid that occasional error and restart, but is otherwise not necessary for F@h.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3