"Work Unit has an invalid address." [Problem fixed]

Post here if you have issues with any version of the 5.0x client for Windows

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: "Work Unit has an invalid address." [Problem fixed]

Postby bruce » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:38 pm

old_fool wrote:Thanks for that. But as you could see from the logs I posted, one of the servers I have issues with, is 171.65.103.100, and that's not mentioned in that thread.
I will change the clilent settings, but as I said, I have 3 clients on 3 machines, different configs, and still, all three are having problems. I am pretty sure it's just due to my bad luck.

The workload on all of the servers has continued to increase to the point that the Collection Servers (including 171.65.103.100) are pretty much constantly saturated. The plan to alleviate the overload is to distribute the new server code to all the machines. (We know that code can handle a lot more simultaneous connections.) I don't know the status of the testing but it probably is looking good since the code is gradually being used on more servers.

Being assigned to 0.0.0.0 means the assignment server could not find a server with new WUs for your client configuration -- and that might be related to the announcement, depending on what projects are on those servers.

Not being able to upload is an independent issue, but shouldn't worry you as much.
bruce

Postby old_fool » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:23 pm

bruce wrote:
old_fool wrote:Thanks for that. But as you could see from the logs I posted, one of the servers I have issues with, is 171.65.103.100, and that's not mentioned in that thread.
I will change the clilent settings, but as I said, I have 3 clients on 3 machines, different configs, and still, all three are having problems. I am pretty sure it's just due to my bad luck.

The workload on all of the servers has continued to increase to the point that the Collection Servers (including 171.65.103.100) are pretty much constantly saturated. The plan to alleviate the overload is to distribute the new server code to all the machines. (We know that code can handle a lot more simultaneous connections.) I don't know the status of the testing but it probably is looking good since the code is gradually being used on more servers.)

Being assigned to 0.0.0.0 means the assignment server could not find a server with new WUs for your client configuration -- and that might be related to the announcement, depending on what projects are on those servers.

Not being able to upload is an independent issue, but shouldn't worry you as much.

Thanks a lot, Bruce, for all the info. The underlined part compels me to update the client software on my superfast Win98 machine. I guess I could just copy the console client in the folder where the GUI client is, and start it - it should pick up from where the GUI (4.0) client left off. Of course, I have to pay attention to those config settings someone mentioned earlier.
old_fool

Postby old_fool » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:25 pm

anandhanju wrote:
old_fool wrote:
anandhanju wrote:If possible, can you upgrade to the relatively newer 5.04 correction:console client? bruce explains the benefits and the limitations: viewtopic.php?p=21405#p21405
I don't think it's available for Windows98. In fact, I don't think any newer client is available for Windows98 but regardless of that I noticed that none of my clients is able to send work units to the collection servers today!
The poster in that topic was running Win98 too. I think assignments for v4 clients are drying up (this is just a guess) and upgrading to a newer client might help in getting work.

The issues related to not being able to send results appears to be due to overloaded servers.

Thank you very much anandhanju. Will download the 5.03 WinXP client and try to make it work under Win98.
old_fool

Postby MtM » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:04 pm

It won't ( imho ) as I treid that years ago. Messing with mfc ( thought/was told that was the problem ) didn't help. Nlite'd XP can run on anything win98 can run on though, so I think that's the safest route.

If you do get it to work please share the how to, since I think there more people who still have older machines running right now and wouldn't mind being able to update :)
MtM

Postby old_fool » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:12 pm

I tried to run the 5.04 console client, but it complains that "there is not enough memory to run this application"
old_fool

Postby MtM » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:18 pm

It's been a long while but I don't recall the exact issues/messages I got. I was told to try to install mfc as it doesn't come standard with win98 and see if that helped. Afaik the client is written in c for a great deal and the problem win98 had was that not all required libs where available. Like I said, installing the then latest version of mfc didn't help though so I gave up. Think there is a good reason it doesn't support that os, if the solution was simple it would have been public knowledge by now I guess.

But, it never hurts for people to keep trying as miracles tend to happen when people just don't give up :)
MtM

Postby bruce » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:53 pm

MtM wrote:Nlite'd XP can run on anything win98 can run on though, so I think that's the safest route.

If you do get it to work please share the how to, since I think there more people who still have older machines running right now and wouldn't mind being able to update :)

XP is a good choice if you need to continue to use software that you've been using on Win98, but if it's a folding-only machine, you should seriously consider Linux. Whether you go for a preconfigured setup such as the ones from notfred or you just download something like DamnSmallLinux, you really don't have to learn Linux . . . (if that's what is holding you back) . . . just install it and forget it.
bruce

Postby MtM » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:14 pm

Good point, should have thought of that :)

It will increase productivity as it has far less overhead then xp and with something like NF's it's setup and forget as you say. DSL/NF will fit on a usb stick ( or cd, since it's an older machine I don't think it would allow booting from usb devices ) and you can save some power with ditching the hdd.

It would be environmentally sane as well to try to convert it to a headless folder. Btw Bruce weren't you the one who I was talking about this back then ( mean the mfc issue, required libs not being present on the os )?
MtM

Postby bruce » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:18 am

Nope. I don't know enough about mfc to talk about it.

I've had a version of DSL that will boot off a flash drive. It's (only a little bit) harder to set up that notfred's but you also get a Linux system that you can learn from, if that's your goal.
bruce

Postby new08 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:33 am

I run 5.04 Console with Windows Client 4.00 actually sharing the WUs. (4.00 running now)
Either will pick up where the other left off- but it seems NOT to deal with system instabilty well -and any crash wil usually (not always) lose current data.
Most crashes were data streaming -so unlikely to be F@H related.
Also one would get new work- where the other couldn't, on occasion. FWIW
Win 98 is on my fasted kit -which has a stuck XP Upgrade on it and I can't be bothered to reload everything!
new08

Postby MtM » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:40 am

Neither do I, just tinkering at the time. Btw new08 if you got 504 why alternate it with v4? Doesn't make allot of sence, and I'm quite sure v4 can not run all wu's/cores the current uniprocessor client can.

And, do I read it correctly that you say you got v504 running on win98 without spilling out how at the same time ;)
MtM

Postby new08 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:13 am

Well, seeing we are into it here I'll explain a bit more.
I'm not sure how it came about but it was probably download (lack of) or upload (lost data/server) problems that led me to 5.04 , as upgraded clients are the way to go on new work.
V4.00 did run from a desktop folder shortcut but after problems on losing units I tidied it up a bit then noticed that it was sharing the work with V4.00 I The units were the same.
There was nothing in the work folder on the desktop. It was a remnant from saved trials earlier, I think.
That's when I realised that the code was using the common storage for work in progress.
Some units had completed and sent OK by now though

However about that time, after some success, I started to see crashes on PC - [F@H related? not sure], and the restarted client was coming out with *** checksums not matching *** [my stars] -and restaring from original packet.
The data seemed to be missing a fair whack, and timed at some hours previous.Possibly a storage config issue?

So...oooo- I've gone back to V4.00 (edited to correct ver) -and when that finishes tonight I can test the situation-
if you have any specific request- but to be honest- just using the setup that works is good enough for me, like many others.
The crashes have stopped btw, so that makes me cautious- but then I'm not streaming video/audio right now.

Update 27 Feb : WU uploaded no probs- so I'll stick with V4 till it either runs out of work or server probs come back with a vengeance!
Last edited by new08 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
new08

Postby MtM » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:24 am

v4 client can not run all cores, don't have the exact core's which it can not run compared to v504 but I think it's safe to say you shouldn't be alternating clients like you been doing. v4 might have run out of work that's correct, and v504 could get work that's also a safe assumption. I would just use the v504 client and ditch the old one :)

If you have crashes on v504 I suggest starting a new thread and reporting the issue there ( along with log snippets ( btw run -verbosity 9 to easy troubleshooting but I assume you know that ) offcourse ).

Will get you answers/help sooner then adding your problem with 504 on this thread, I was just curieus because it wasn't really clear what you ment by the previous posts.

Happy folding ( hopefully without crashes )!
MtM

Postby new08 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Your info is of help. I can break rules- if F@H breaks hearts <g>
5.04 is preferred, of course and maybe the situation that existed before has cleared by now.
This is a dead thread- so a nice corner to mop up a few 'ifs and buts' - any real new problems, I would post in new thread.
Generally , all my troubles seem server related at present -like many others.
I do have a perverse delight in running Win98 though -as everyone sucks deep on hearing this!!
new08

Previous

Return to Windows Uniprocessor Client v5.0x