Testing the Windows GPU client.

Re: Any News on New ATI Core?

Postby Beberg » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:48 pm

... when it works.
Beberg
Pande Group Member

Postby The_Namek » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm

Image That sounds like the flip side of what I tell customers when they say their computers aren't working after having been working fine only x amount of time ago: "They're always working until they're not!"
The_Namek

Postby Galahad » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:32 pm

Beberg wrote:... when it works.

- Why do you call this version of software "beta"?
- Cuz it's betta than nothing! :D
I know the pieces fit
Galahad

Postby theo343 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:53 pm

Im running fine with 1.04 core on XP32 SP2 and HD3850@783 is giving me steady 2200PPD+. Is the 1.06 stable in XP, for those who have tried it.
theo343

Postby mhouston » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:24 pm

Folks in the closed beta can't talk about things there.
mhouston

Postby legoman666 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:25 am

theo343 wrote:Im running fine with 1.04 core on XP32 SP2 and HD3850@783 is giving me steady 2200PPD+. Is the 1.06 stable in XP, for those who have tried it.

1.06 appears to have been removed from the server. I downloaded the file in the beta folder, extracted the core, and the log file says it's 1.04.
legoman666

Postby SolidSteel144 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:32 am

legoman666 wrote:
theo343 wrote:Im running fine with 1.04 core on XP32 SP2 and HD3850@783 is giving me steady 2200PPD+. Is the 1.06 stable in XP, for those who have tried it.

1.06 appears to have been removed from the server. I downloaded the file in the beta folder, extracted the core, and the log file says it's 1.04.

Yes, take this discussion into the betateam forums.
SolidSteel144

Postby DarkElfa » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:36 am

mhouston wrote:Folks in the closed beta can't talk about things there.

Pardon me for saying so Mike, but that sounds as dumb as it actually is when you say it like that. They're testing out a new core used in folding@home, not a top secret military project. Jesus, you guys like to over dramatize crap, huh. Whats with the ridiculous secrecy anyways, they can't tell anyone if the beta core is working well or not? Would the world end or aliens invade or something? Or perhaps Nvidia would blow the raspberries at us. :roll:

Bah, at this point, they're well within their rights to do so, we're getting pounded in GPU2 and all you can do to reassure us is make us feel that we aren't important enough to let in on the huge secrets of the beta core universe, less someone nefarious steal the core and use it for world domination! :eugeek:

Seriously, enough with all the insider club garbage and just tell us if the card we gave ATI good money for is going to live up to its marketing or should we take our business over to the guys who's product is. No offense meant Mike, I love my 4870, but all this cloak and dagger beta junk is wearing my patience thin. :x
DarkElfa

Postby mhouston » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:57 am

There is no way to win here. If we get people's hopes up, but find issues with a core, then people get upset. If we don't say anything, people get upset. If we say we are working on it, people get upset, but I'll say it again anyway.

All I can honestly say is that we are working on it, but it does take time to test and validate a core, especially with the matrix of boards, drivers, OSs, and different WU types that need to be tested. Nvidia continues to improve as do we, so it's hard to say where things will end up. The code bases are very different and the hardware is different as well. That being said, we are working to close the gap and we are making progress.
mhouston

Postby SolidSteel144 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:58 am

DarkElfa wrote:

Pardon me for saying so Mike, but that sounds as dumb as it actually is when you say it like that. They're testing out a new core used in folding@home, not a top secret military project. Jesus, you guys like to over dramatize crap, huh. Whats with the ridiculous secrecy anyways, they can't tell anyone if the beta core is working well or not? Would the world end or aliens invade or something? Or perhaps Nvidia would blow the raspberries at us. :roll:

Bah, at this point, they're well within their rights to do so, we're getting pounded in GPU2 and all you can do to reassure us is make us feel that we aren't important enough to let in on the huge secrets of the beta core universe, less someone nefarious steal the core and use it for world domination! :eugeek:

Seriously, enough with all the insider club garbage and just tell us if the card we gave ATI good money for is going to live up to its marketing or should we take our business over to the guys who's product is. No offense meant Mike, I love my 4870, but all this cloak and dagger beta junk is wearing my patience thin. :x

They have their reasons and it has been explained to you already.
Yet you persist?
SolidSteel144

Postby db597 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:57 am

I loaded up core 1.06 last night (manual download). Went to sleep and in the morning found it did EUE a few times until I got an UNSTABLE MACHINE message. A night's worth of running was lost.

So for those that are rushing for a new core, I suggest you be more patient. On the upside you might get 10-20% speed up. On the downside, you get -100% loss. Give the guys a break and allow them to deliver a good working core.
MSI GTX460 336SP 1GB | Intel Q6600 | 2GB DDR2
Palit GTX260 216SP 55nm | Intel E5200 | 2GB DDR2
db597

Postby Saron » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:43 am

I ran the 4850 that I picked up the first weekend they came out, averaged 1500ppd
My chepo 8800gt I picked up a week later for half the price gets an average 4500ppd

I find it hard to believe that difference can ever be made up without fuzzy math, or maybe it's fuzzy math to begin with?
Saron

Postby P5-133XL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:44 am

Come off it. There is nothing stopping you from applying for the beta team. There is a forum, avail. to all, just for that purpose. All you have to do is agree not to talk about what you learned there. It isn't an elitist group, it is simply a group that is dealing what what is still proprietary.
P5-133XL
Site Moderator

Postby 7im » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:50 am

DarkElfa wrote:

Oh come on. You're the one blowing this way out of proportion here. ANYONE can request membership to the beta team. And you are correct, there aren't any big secrets, otherwise not ANYONE could get in. Give me a break.

HOWEVER, there is no need to clutter up this already complex forum with a dozen more threads about testing new work units and new fahcores. And most people don't care about the pain in the ass problems that new beta stuff causes. Some things are hard enough without having to read through all that testing crap too.

We simply keep that testing quiet as not to cause reactions like yours, or any of the other posts in this thread. :roll: Again, nothing top secret. And as bruce mentioned earlier, it doesn't get you any more points, usually less because stuff breaks. If you want to see what's behind the curtain in OZ, all you have to do is join, and follow the rules. We have rules for a reason. For instance, like not having to explain this rules stuff 10 times a week.

And we keep the beta stuff out of the public section so that things like what db597 experienced last night doesn't happen. Most new or infrequent old users are not prepared to deal with the problems of very early beta testing. db597 lost a night's worth of folding because a new fahcore was forcefully downloaded before it was ready.

This is also why we leave the NEWS up to Pande Group to announce on the Project NEWS page instead of pestering them about it in multiple posts. This was a lame thread from the start.

New stuff is announced when it's released. New stuff in developement is not talked about in the open forum. Some new stuff in development might be talked about in the beta forum, most new stuff isn't. If you want in, then ask to get in and follow the rules. But don't ask about beta stuff in the public section. Pande Group's long standing policy is not to discuss things before they are released. ETAs always change, so there is no point in making them, ETAs are rediculous, and so it's even more rediculous to ask about them.

I'd close this thread purely on the rediculous factor alone, but someone would claim that's a conspiracy as well. :roll: Whatever.
Please do not mistake my brevity as dispassion or condescension. I recognize the time you spend reading the forum is time you could use elsewhere, so my short responses save you time. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification if I was too terse.
7im

Postby bruce » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:17 am

db597 wrote:I loaded up core 1.06 last night (manual download). Went to sleep and in the morning found it did EUE a few times until I got an UNSTABLE MACHINE message. A night's worth of running was lost.

So for those that are rushing for a new core, I suggest you be more patient. On the upside you might get 10-20% speed up. On the downside, you get -100% loss. Give the guys a break and allow them to deliver a good working core.

legoman666 wrote:1.06 appears to have been removed from the server. I downloaded the file in the beta folder, extracted the core, and the log file says it's 1.04.

And now you know why you shouldn't try to get something that isn't ready yet.

If you enjoyed this experience, then join the beta team. If it wasn't particularly fun, then don't join and trust that those who are doing the testing will release it to you just as soon as it's ready.

I think that db597 may be the only person posting in this thread that really gets it.
db597 wrote:So for those that are rushing for a new core, I suggest you be more patient. On the upside you might get 10-20% speed up. On the downside, you get -100% loss. Give the guys a break and allow them to deliver a good working core.
bruce
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Windows GPU2 (ATI HD 2xxx/3xxx and beyond)